William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SALHOUSE, or Sallowes, is a large but straggling village and parish, 6 miles N.E. of Norwich, in St. Faith's union, Taverham hundred and petty sessional division, Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 622 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2060 acres, and has a rateable value of £2470.
The parish lies within William Henry Trafford, Esq.'s manor of Wroxham-with-Salhouse; but the soil belongs to a number of freeholders and copyholders, the latter of whom are subject to arbitrary fines. The Hall, a pretty castellated brick building of the Elizabethan period, contains a fine collection of paintings and other works of art. It stands in a well-wooded lawn commanding extensive prospects, and is the seat of Edward Foote Ward, Esq.
The CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave with north aisle, chancel, and square tower with two bells. The pillars between the nave and aisle have foliated capitals. Near the south door is a holy water stoup; and here are tablets of the Ward and Farman families. The nave and aisle of the church were built at the end of the 13th century, and the tower was erected in the 15th century, three feet to the west, by the west wall of the nave. The church was thoroughly restored under John O. Scott, Esq., in 1881, at a cost of upwards of £2000, when a south porch was erected, and the south wall of the nave rebuilt. The unique thatch roof is much admired, as it preserves its original appearance, as also does the framework of the roofs of the nave and chancel. The open benches have the ancient poppy-heads, and the pulpit retains the original panels from the ancient pulpit, besides the old hourglass stand. The ancient oak screen, on which the sanctus bell remains, yet requires restoration. When the walls were stripped of their several coats of plaster, they were found to be covered all over with frescoes of very early date. In the tower are two mural monuments formed of stone coffin lids, which were removed from the chancel, and are supposed to be of a crusader. The chancel contains a piscina. The Register dates from 1568.
The discharged vicarage is consolidated with that of Wroxham, in the patronage of W.H. Trafford, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Francis Boddington, M.A., vicar, to whom the living was presented by the University of Cambridge, the patron being a Roman Catholic. There is here a good residence, built in 1846, at a cost of £1048, about 10 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £187 10s., awarded in 1843 in lieu of tithes. The rectorial tithes were sold by Lord Suffield in 1877, and now belong to several gentlemen.
The National School is a neat building, erected in 1845, at a cost of £237, on land given by the late R. Ward, Esq., and now [sic] attended by 70 children. It was considerably enlarged in 1871, and is now [sic] attended by about 100 children.
The Baptists have two chapels here, the oldest of which is endowed with the interest of £190, left by Mrs. Linford in 1825. The Wesleyans now use the chapel which was formerly occupied by the Mechanics' Institution.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1802, comprises 19A. 2R. 21P., which are let, together with 4A. 1R. 21P., received at the same time, in exchange for the old Poor's Land. The rent, £28 a year, is distributed in coals to the poor, who have also a yearly rent-charge of 50s. left by Edward Metyer; 5s. a year from Topcliffe's charity (see Wroxham); and 10s. a year from an acre of land on Mousehold Heath, pursuant to the Plantation Act of the 29th of George II.
POST OFFICE. - Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m., despatched at 4.30 p.m., viâ Norwich. There is also a Wall Letter Box near Mill Hill, cleared at 4.5 p.m. week days, and 9.35 a.m. on Sundays. Blofield is nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Alexander Robert parish clerk
Barber Benjamin farmer
Benton Matthew farmer
Boddington Rev. Thomas
Francis, M.A. vicar
Boggis Jas. Robt. butcher & shopkpr
Brown Thomas farmer and saddler
Browne Samuel rate collector
Collins Walter station-master
Davidson Richard farmer
Dowsing George shoemaker
Farman Henry grocer and baker
Farman Jph. basket mkr. & thatcher
Farman Robert baker (Henry)
Girling William farmer
Hainton Robert tailor
Herwin George farmer
Hewitt John thatcher
Howlett Harcourt farmer
Howlett Horace frmr. corn, coal, cake, & seed
mert. & miller, Willow Bank
Newman Mrs Mary farmer
Pratt Thos. Jas. &
Son (William) grcrs
Rice Edmund market gardener and pork butcher
Rice James victualler, Bell
Rice Wm. shoemkr. & vict. King's Head
Rose John blacksmith
Rose Thomas butcher
Runacres William baker, grocer, and sub-postmaster
Sewell Timothy farmer
Sutton Edwd. farmer, Yew Tree lodge
Sutton Edwd. Mingay fmr. & cattle dlr
Sutton Jno. cattle dlr. Yew Tree lodge
Sutton Misses Sarah
Thrower Samuel farmer
Thrower William farmer & cattle dlr
Took Thomas farmer
Tooke Mr Baseley Hales Manor hs
Tooley Thomas farmer
Tuck Miss Emily J. Natl. schlmistress
Wacey James farmer
Ward Mr Edwd. Foote,
M.A. The Hall
Winter George shoemaker
Winter Jas. wheelwrt. & joiner, Mill hill
Winter Thomas farmer
Woodcock Joshua farmer
Woodcock Robert farmer
Wright Robert shoemaker
STATION on the Gt. Eastern Railway (Cromer branch); trains several times a day; Walter Collins, station-master
See also the Salhouse parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.