William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1836
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SALTHOUSE, a parish and scattered village, partly on an abrupt acclivity, rising above the swampy salt marshes, within half a mile of the sea beach, and 4 miles N. of Holt, has 262 inhabitants, and 757 acres of arable and meadow land, and about 400 acres of marsh, mostly covered with water; frequented by numerous flocks of wild fowls, and having in the pools immense quantities of excellent eels.
The principal land owners are Mr. J. Johnson, Mrs. A. Purdy, and Mrs. P.M. Girdlestone. The latter is lady of the manor and patroness of the CHURCH (St. Nicholas,) which has a lofty tower, and was built by Sir Henry Heydon, in the reign of Henry VII. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £20, has 2A. of glebe, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. W.E. Girdlestone, together with Kelling.
Bridges Henry shoemaker Hancock Samuel baker Cubitt Thomas baker Dew William shopkeeper Hardingham Wm. shopkeeper Johnson Mrs. Hannah Johnson John, Esq. Lynn John bricklayer Mack Misses Ellen & Elizabeth Massingham James shoemaker Matthews Robt. blksmith. & shopr. Moy John glazier, painter, &c. Neave Geo. Larner corn miller Payne Edmund blacksmith Purdy Mrs. Ann Spence Robert wheelwright Williams Peter joiner and vict. Dun Cow
See also the Salthouse parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.