William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SALTHOUSE, a scattered village, on an acclivity above the salt marshes, half a mile from the beach, and 4 miles N. of Holt, has in its parish 263 souls, and 832 acres of land, exclusive of a tract of swampy marshes, with large pools of water, near the sea, frequented by large flocks of wild fowl.
The principal landowners are Mrs. Johnson, Wm. Purdy, and Mrs. M.A. Girdlestone. The latter is lady of the manor, and patroness of the Church (St. Nicholas,) which has a lofty tower, and was built by Sir Henry Heydon, in the reign of Henry VII. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with Kelling. (See page 743 [which is the entry for Kelling].)
At the enclosure, in 1781, the poor received three allotments, comprising 349A. 3R. 6P., for fuel and pasturage. One of these allotments (121A. 3R. 35P.) was part of Kelling common.
Dew Wm. shopkeeper [see note below] Hancock Samuel baker Hardingham Wm. shopkeeper [see note below] Jarvis John miller Johnson Eliz. farmer [see note below] Lynn John bricklayer Mack Miss Ellen Massingham James shoemaker Matthews Robert blacksmith and shopkeeper Moy John plumber and painter Payne Sarah blacksmith Purdy Wm. farmer [see note below] Spence Robert wheelwright Williams Peter joiner and vict., Dun Cow
Note: In the original these are:
Wm. Dew and Wm. Hardingham, shopkeepers;
Eliz. Johnson and Wm. Purdy, farmers
See also the Salthouse parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.