William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SALTHOUSE is a scattered village, on an acclivity above the salt marshes, half a mile from the beach, and 4 miles N. of Holt, and its parish is in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, hundred, and petty sessional division, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Norwich archdeaconry, and Holt rural deanery. The rateable value is £1418 5s., and the gross rental £1592 19s. 9d.
The parish had 207 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1614 acres of land, about 55 acres of which formed a tract of swampy marshes frequented by wild fowl, till 1851, when it was drained, embanked, and converted into grazing land; but some of the embankments were swept away by the sea in 1860, and have not since been replaced. The parish belongs mostly to Mr. Randall, lord of the manor and patron of the living, and to Mr. Wm. Purdy and Mrs. Johnson.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) is a fine structure, built by Sir Henry Heydon in the reign of Henry VII., and comprises nave with aisles and clerestory, north and south porches, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The font bears the evangelistic symbols, and in the chancel are sedilia and a piscina. There is another piscina in the south aisle. Some of the old open seats, with poppies, still remain. A window in the chancel was filled with stained glass in 1878, at a cost of £20.
The discharged rectory is consolidated with Kelling, and the Rev. J.W. Flavell, B.A., is the rector, and resides there; he has here 1½ acre of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £220.
This parish was united with the Weybourne, Salthouse, and Kelling School Board in June 1875; the school is situated in Kelling parish, where the children attend.
At the enclosure in 1781, the poor received three allotments, comprising 349A. 3R. 6P., for fuel and pasturage. One of these, containing 121A. 3R. 35P., was part of Kelling Common.
A friendly society was established here in 1791, and has 150 members.
POST from Holt, viâ East Dereham. Wall Letter-Box cleared at 3.5 p.m.
Brown James vict. Dun Cow Inn Flavell Rev. John Webb, B.A. rector; h Kelling Rectory Hancock Samuel baker Jarvis John Dewing miller Johnson Mrs Sarah Ann Manor house Lewis Henry grocer, draper, assist. overseer, parish clerk, sec. to Salthouse Friendly Society, and clerk to School Board Page Frank farmer and surveyor, The Cottage Pane John blacksmith Pigott Gabriel marshman Pigott Richard gardener Pigott Robert cowkeeper Purdy William farmer & landowner Spence William wheelwright
See also the Salthouse parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.