Hide

Santon

hide
Hide

"SANTON parish, on the north side of the Little Ouse river, 4 miles N.W. of Thetford and E. of Brandon, has only 27 souls, and 1500 acres of light sandy land, all the property of Lord Wm. J.F. Powlett, of Santon Downham Hall, on the opposite side of the river, in Suffolk. Mr. Spenceley Ellis occupies one farm, and the rest of the parish is occupied by non-residents. The Norwich and Brandon Railway, which will be completed in 1845, will have a station here, and a branch to Thetford. The Church (St. Helen) is a very small edifice, rebuilt out of the ruins of the old one by Thomas Bancroft, in 1628. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £1. 15s. 10d., and in 1831, at only £18. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are patrons, and the Rev. Robert Ward, of Thetford, is the incumbent. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]

Hide

Santon is also known as Santon House.
See also Santon Downham in Suffolk.

Hide
topup

Census

  • 1841-1881
    Farrow, Charles W. and Palgrave-Moore, Patrick
    Church of England Parish Registers 1707-1837, with census returns 1841-1881; transcribed and indexed.
    [Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, The Parish Registers of Norfolk, Monograph Series no.16, 1986]
  • 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881: Surname Lists
  • 1891: Surname List

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses

topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Helen in some records, and to All Saints in others.
topup

Church History

Church of All Saints
Description and pictures.
Fitch, John
The Church in the Forest: St Mary's Santon Downham (Suffolk), with some notes on All Saints' Santon (Norfolk).
[Santon Downham, The Church, 1980s]
topup

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1813-1880
Archdeacons' Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
Baptisms and Burials.
Farrow, Charles W. and Palgrave-Moore, Patrick
Church of England Parish Registers 1707-1837, with census returns 1841-1881; transcribed and indexed.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, The Parish Registers of Norfolk, Monograph Series no.16, 1986]
Marriages
These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Santon was in Thetford Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Santon which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Santon is in Grimshoe Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Grimshoe Hundred
Description of Grimshoe Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Santon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL829872 (Lat/Lon: 52.4524, 0.690377), Santon which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
1801--110
18111111
18212321
18314418
18416--27
18517--34
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
1861  8--55
1871101047
1881  7  835
1891  8  837
1901  8  844
1911--  846

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.