William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SANTON parish, on the north side of the Little Ouse river, 4 miles N.W. of Thetford and E. of Brandon, has only 55 inhabitants, and 1500 acres of light sandy land, all the property of the Duke of Cleveland.
The Church (St. Helen) is a very small edifice, rebuilt out of the ruins of the old one by Thomas Bancroft, in 1628, and comprising nave, chancel, and octagonal tower. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £1. 15s. 10d., and now at £80, is in the patronage of the Duke of Cleveland, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Weller-Poley, of Brandon.
Mr. Wm. Mitchell is the only resident farmer, Mr. Frederick Phillipo is land agent to the Duke of Cleveland, and Isaac Dew is parish clerk. POST from Brandon.
See also the Santon parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.