Saxlingham by Holt
"SAXLINGHAM, on an eminence, 3 miles W. of Holt, has in its parish 147 souls, and 1498 acres of land. Sir R.P. Jodrell owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the Church (St. Margaret,) which has a fine monument in memory of the lady of Sir Chpr. Heydon, with her effigy, kneeling under an arch. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12. 7s. 3½d., and in 1831, at £591, with that of Sharrington annexed to it, is enjoyed by the Rev. S. Jodrell, A.M. The tithes here were commuted, in 1845, for £426 per annum, including the glebe." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the Hundred of Holt (Walter Rye).
- The parishes covered include Saxlingham.
- Ketton-Cremer, Robert Wyndham
- The Heydon monument at Saxlingham.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.34, 1969]
- Rye, Walter
- Rye's Norfolk Essays Vol 3: Norfolk mystics and the influence of Dr Dee, etc.
Includes a diagram of Lady Haywood's tomb and inscriptions from Saxlingham Church.
[Norwich, Roberts and Co., 1925]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Holt, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- Archdeacons' Transcripts
- Baptisms 1721-1811, Marriages 1729-1812 and Burials 1721-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Saxlingham by Holt to another place.
Saxlingham is in Holt hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Saxlingham by Holt has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Rose, Edwin J.
- Saxlingham Place or Heydon Hall, Saxlingham: a description and the results of some recent excavations.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.38, 1983, and vol.40, 1987]
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Walsingham Registration District, 1836
- and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG025397 (Lat/Lon: 52.916355, 1.011082), Saxlingham by Holt which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)