"SAXLINGHAM-NETHERGATE is a large village and parish, 7 miles S. of Norwich, containing 650 inhabitants, and 1530A. of land, partly the property of the Rev. J.H. Steward, and all lying in his manors of Saxlingham-Netherhall, Overhall, and Thorpe-Hall, (fines arbitrary.) John Gordon, Esq., and the Rev. Wm. Walford, have estates here; and the former has a neat mansion, . . . Here is a common, two-thirds of which belong to this parish, and the rest to Saxlingham-Thorpe, which also includes a small part of the village. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a handsome building, with a square tower and five bells. It was thoroughly repaired about 1809, by a late rector, the Ven. John Gooch, Archdeacon of Sudbury, . . . The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13. 11s. 8d., and has annexed to it that of Saxlingham-Thorpe, in the gift of the Rev. J.H. Steward, and incumbency of the Rev. W.F. Wilkinson, sen., M.A., of North Walsham. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1843, for £792. 7s. 6d. per annum." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Church of St Mary
- Description and pictures.
- Muir, Mary
- A history of the church in Saxlingham.
[Saxlingham Church, 1991]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Saxlingham Nethergate to another place.
Saxlingham Nethergate is in Henstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Henstead Hundred
- Description of Henstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Saxlingham Nethergate has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Muir, Mary
- A good place to call home: Discovering the history of Saxlingham Thorpe and Saxlingham Nethergate.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM230971 (Lat/Lon: 52.526353, 1.285744), Saxlingham Nethergate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Muir, Mary
- From slate to computer: A history of education in Saxlingham Nethergate.