Hide

Norfolk: Saxlingham Thorpe

hide
Hide

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

SAXLINGHAM-THORPE, near the river Tas, 7½ miles S. of Norwich, is in Henstead union and hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 146 inhabitants in 1881, and 469 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £971.

John Steward, Esq., is lord of the manor. John Wakelin Miles, Esq., George Barnabas Teltham, Esq., and John Steward, Esq., own the greater part of the soil.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) is an ivy-clad ruin, being dilapidated long before 1740, when the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., was consolidated with that of Saxlingham-Nethergate.

Here is a small Baptist Chapel, built about 1818.

POST viâ Norwich.

         Aldis     Isaac          blacksmith         Bell      John           beerhouse, Queen Adelaide         Buck      Samuel         carpenter         Culling   Isaac          vict. West End Inn         Meek      Mrs Mary Ann   farmer         Meek      William        farmer         Miles     John Wakelin   landownr. frmr. and miller         Points    John           farmer         Tooley    William        farmer         Want      Robert         blacksmith         Watts     John           shoemaker         Youngman  Jesse          baker 

See also the Saxlingham Thorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2007