"SAXLINGHAM-THORPE, near the river Tas, 7½ miles S. of Norwich, has in its parish 131 souls, and 456A. of land. The Rev. J.H. Steward is lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to Robt. Fellowes, Esq. The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is an ivy-clad ruin, being dilapidated long before 1740, when the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., was consolidated with that of Saxlingham-Nethergate. Here is a small Baptist Chapel, built about 1818." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary. It was in ruins before 1740.
- Church of St Mary
- Description and pictures of the ruins.
- Heywood, Stephen and Ayton, John
- Three Ruined Churches: St Margaret, Bayfield; St Mary Magdalen, Saxlingham Thorpe; and All Saints, Oxwick.
[Norwich, Norfolk Archaeological and Historical Research Group, 1995]
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society
- The Parish Registers of Norfolk: Saxlingham Thorpe Particular Baptist: Births and Registrations, 1793-1837.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, 1989]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Saxlingham Thorpe to another place.
Saxlingham Thorpe is in Henstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Henstead Hundred
- Description of Henstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Saxlingham Thorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Muir, Mary
- A good place to call home: Discovering the history of Saxlingham Thorpe and Saxlingham Nethergate.
- Kelly, Geoffrey Ian
- Daines Farm, Cobie's Lane, Saxlingham Thorpe: A history based upon documentary sources.
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1998]
- Kelly, Geoffrey Ian
- Foxhole Farm, Saxlingham Thorpe: A history based upon documentary sources.
[Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library, 1999]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM215978 (Lat/Lon: 52.532999, 1.26434), Saxlingham Thorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)