William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SAXTHORPE, 6 miles N.W. of Aylsham and S.S.E. of Holt, on the north side of the Bure, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 331 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2113 acres, and has a rateable value of £2344.
The parish belongs to the executors of Colonel Astley, William A. Dixon, the Earl of Orford, and others. Here are two manors, called Lound Hall and Mickle Hall, of which Colonel W.E.G.L. Bulwer is lord.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is an ancient building, comprising nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, and square tower with one bell, and was built about 1490; previous to which, here was St. Dunstan's Chapel, founded by Aymer de Valence in 1313, on the site still called Chapel Close.
Pembroke College, Cambridge, has the appropriation of the rectory and the patronage of the vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £4 13s. 4d., and is now worth £144 per annum. It is in the incumbency of the Rev. James H. Watson, M.A., and was augmented with £400 by W. Trolope and Queen Anne's Bounty in 1739. The glebe is 46A. 3R., and in 1842 the rectorial tithes were commuted for £302 10s., and the vicarial for £91 per annum.
In 1666 the Rev. John Vaughan, a late vicar, left £260 to the Boys' Hospital in Norwich, and directed that half the boys admitted in consideration thereof should be sent from Saxthorpe. He also left £300 to be lent in sums of £30, free of interest, for seven years, to young men of this parish commencing business.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established in 1875, for the united district of Corpusty, Saxthorpe, and Irmingland. The school, which was opened on September 5, 1881, is at Corpusty (which see). There is also a reading-room, opened in June 1882.
POST from Norwich, viâ Reepham. Reepham and Aylsham are the nearest Money Order Offices.
Bacon Mrs Ann victualler, Castle Carr Robert bootmaker Cornish Ezra farmer, iron and brass founder, agricultural implmnt. mfr. and agent. (See Advt.) [See below] Davison William gardener Dixon William farmer; house Weybourne Dixon William Abel farmer Garwood Walter William farmer Harrison Samuel farmer Hase Thomas assistant overseer, clerk to the School Board, and parish clk Ottoway Robt. Jas. grocer and draper Riches Jno. butcher; h Wood Dalling Rix Benjamin W frmr. Great farm Watson Rev. James H., M.A. vicar
On page 19 of the advertisements at the end of the directory is the following. The last sentence is printed sideways:
During the last 23 years upwards of 3000 of the above Ploughs have been made by E.C.
In the original, Thomas Hase is given as assistant overeeer.
See also the Saxthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.