Norfolk: Sco Ruston
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SCO-RUSTON, or South Ruston, 5 miles S. of North Walsham, had in its parish in 1881 89 inhabitants, and comprises 482 acres of land, mostly the property of Lady Durrant and Mr. Thomas H. Wells. It is in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Coltishall polling district of North Norfolk, Redenhall [sic - should be Waxham] rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The rateable value in 1881 was £860.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a small antique fabric, which was formerly larger, and had a tower, of which there are still some ivy-mantled ruins. The chancel was restored in 1861 by G.R. Johnson, Esq., the impropriator. The living is a curacy, consolidated with Tunstead vicarage, in the patronage of Mrs. Catherine Mack, and incumbency of the Rev. George H. Harris, M.A.
The Poor's Allotment, 1A. 3R. 8P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1820. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £135 per annum to the impropriator, and £52 10s. to the incumbent.
POST from Norwich, viâ Scottow.
Bambridge William carpenter and wheelwright Neale Mrs Jane shopkeeper Wells Thomas Hayn farmer & owner and surveyor, The Hall
See also the Sco Ruston parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.