"SCO-RUSTON, or South Ruston, 5 miles S. of North Walsham, has in its parish 115 souls, and 482 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir T.H.E. Durrant, the Rev. T. Mack, and Mr. Thomas Wells. The CHURCH (St. Michael,) is a small antique fabric, . . . The living is a curacy, consolidated with Tunstead vicarage, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Mack, M.A. The Poor's Allotment, 1A. 3R. 8P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1820. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £135 per annum to the impropriator; and £52. 10s. to the incumbent. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also East Ruston.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Rowles, Stuart
- Church of England Parish Registers: Sco Ruston:
Baptisms: 1707-1837, Marriages: 1726-1837, and Burials: 1723-1837.
[Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, Monograph Series, vol 30, 1989]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1813-1880
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1707-1837, Banns 1777-1812, Marriages 1726-1835 and Burials 1723-1837.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Sco Ruston was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.
This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, Sco Ruston was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sco Ruston to another place.
Sco Ruston is in Tunstead Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Tunstead Hundred
- Description of Tunstead Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Sco Ruston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG283222 (Lat/Lon: 52.74897, 1.381186), Sco Ruston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)