"SCOTTOW parish, on the banks of a rivulet, 5 miles S. by W. of North Walsham, and 2½ miles W. of Worstead, has 539 inhabitants, and 2104A. 2R. 24P. of land, mostly the property of Sir Thomas Henry Estridge Durrant, Bart., the lord of the manor and lessee of the rectory, who resides at Scottow Hall, a handsome cemented mansion, . . . The Church (All Saints,) stands near the hall, and has a good organ, given by Sir T.H.E. Durrant, in 1844. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8. 13s. 6½d., and consolidated with the rectory of Belaugh. . . . The Bishop of Norwich is patron and appropriator, . . . In 1839, the impropriate rectorial tithes of Scottow were commuted for £500, and the vicarial for £230 per annum; and the vicar has a yearly rent-charge of £16 out of the former. . . . A cattle fair is held on Easter Tuesday, at the Horse Shoes Inn, near which is the Post Office, " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
Not all memorials may be included, even when a transcription is marked as complete, for example when stones are not legible enough to be read or photographed.
- Church of All Saints
- Transcriptions and photographs of gravestones in the churchyard.
- Scottow Parish Cemetery
- Transcriptions and photographs of gravestones in the cemetery.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Scottow and Badersfield Parish Council
- Meetings, minutes, map, etc.
- The Marlpit
- Community news magazine for Coltishall, Horstead with Stanninghall, Great and Little Hautbois, Scottow and Badersfield.
- This is the name given to the former housing at RAF Coltishall, which closed in 2006. It is now private housing, and is named after the world war two fighter pilot, Sir Douglas Bader. Part is in the parish of Scottow, and part in Lamas.
- Gibbons, Fred (writing as Apple Jack)
- Memories of the Village of Scottow, 1920-1995.
[Scottow, The Author, 1995]
- Scottow Mill Common Post Mill
- Description and history.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Scottow to another place.
Scottow is in South Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
- Description of South Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Scottow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG279237 (Lat/Lon: 52.762788, 1.376209), Scottow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission: Scottow Parish Cemetery
- Burials from RAF Coltishall, WW2.
- War Memorial
- World War 1.
- War Memorial
- World War 2.
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "The decrease of population in Colby, Scottow, and Marsham parishes is attributed to migration".
- 1901 Census
- "Including Fairstead."