William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SCOULTON parish, from 3 to 5 miles W. [sic] of Watton, is in Wayland union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Attleborough county court district, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn bankruptcy district, Breccles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 326 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2193 acres, and has a rateable value of £3084 15s. The soil belongs to several owners, the largest of whom are Mrs. Julia Clarke, lady of Oldlands Manor; John Weyland, Esq., lord of Newlands Manor; Henry Hemsworth, Esq., lord of Scoulton Hall Manor; and Trustees of the late Richard Dewing, Esq.
The CHURCH (Holy Trinity) comprises nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, and massive square tower, with octagonal belfry and three bells. The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10 4s. 2d., is in the patronage of John Weyland, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Johnson, B.A., who has 54 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £450, awarded in 1840, and a good residence built in 1833, at a cost of £1000.
The SCHOOL, a neat thatched building, erected by John Weyland, Esq., in 1841, is attended by 60 children.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.
Scoulton Mere, a fine sheet of water, two miles in circumference, has in its centre a small swampy island, and is frequented, from March to July, by many thousand black-headed or laughing gulls (Larus ridibundus), which are useful in clearing the land of insects. Their eggs are gathered and sold by the proprietor, John Weyland, Esq., and are considered a great delicacy.
This parish was formerly entitled to send a free scholar to the Grammar School at Hingham (see p.323 [which is the entry for Hingham]).
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1807, is 39A. 1R. 6P. let for £40.
LETTERS through Thetford. The nearest Money Order Office is at Hingham, Attleborough.
Marked * address Hingham, Attleborough.
Brasnett Thomas Rowing farmer, Weyland farm Brown James mere keeper to John Weyland, Esq. Clarke Abner shoemaker Cocking Thomas shoemaker Durrant Charles farmer Grant - gamekeeper to John Tucker Hardy James woodman Harvey George farmer Horlock Rev. Geo. curate in charge, The Rectory Johnson Rev. Henry, B.A. rector, Gurney's manor, Hingham Lebbell Isaac blacksmith, overseer, assessor, and collector of taxes Norton John farmer, Hall farm Nurse Wm. vict. Day's Arms, & frmr Pelly John R. & Mrs Frances master and mistress National school Rushbrook Alban fmr.; h Gt. Ellnghm * Tingey John Thomas farmer Tufts Jno. Cross hawker & parish clk Tufts Josiah hurdle maker Tyrrell Hy. Robt. baker, grocer & fmr
From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:
For 'Rev. Henry Johnson, B.A.,' read 'Rev. Henry Robert Arthur Johnson, M.A.'
See also the Scoulton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.