William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845SCULTHORPE, a large scattered village, 2 miles N.W. of Fakenham, has in its parish 591 souls, and 2,049 acres of land, mostly belonging to the lord of the manor - Sir L. Jones, Bart., and partly to Lord Hastings, and several smaller owners.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) has a fine tower, a curious Saxon font, and several ancient brasses. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £16, and in 1831 at £553, has 71A. 21P. of glebe. Sir L. Jones, Bart., is patron, and the Rev. Edw. Marsham, M.A., incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £550 per annum.
The Fuel Allotment 30A., was awarded to the poor at the enclosure in 1830, and they have also a double cottage and garden, occupied rent free, and 4A. 3R. 3P., left by Fras. Barkham in 1687.
Here is a Methodist Chapel.
Barker Thos. miller, baker, & shopr. Banham William farm bailiff Billing Robert butcher Blackett Robert bricklayer Foyson Joseph miller at Fakenham Humphrey Francis National School Marsham Rev. Edward, M.A. rector Santy William corn miller Tuck William tailor & grocer Vertigan Joseph shopkeeper Williamson John baker Beer Houses. Joiners. Basham William Basham Robert Hill James Thompson Wm. Kendall Wright Blacksmiths. Shoemakers. Bird William Price Edward Horsley J. Thompson John FARMERS. Wheelwrights. Eglinton John Blackett William Owen Thomas Fowle James Sapey Thomas Sayer John Sherringham Edward, sen. & jun
See also the Sculthorpe parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.