Norfolk: Sea Palling
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
PALLING, a small fishing village and parish, on the sea coast, 16 miles N.E. of Norwich, and 5 miles E. by N. of Stalham, has 425 souls, and 830 acres of land. H.J. Conyers, Esq., of Copt-Hall, Essex, owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the Church (St. Margaret,) which is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £2. 6s. 8d., and augmented with £800 of Queen Anne's Bounty, vested in 20A. 3R. 27P. of land, at Hickling. It is consolidated with Waxham rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. H. Ready, M.A. The tithes here have been commuted; the rectorial for £162. 18s., and the vicarial for £93. 8s. per annum.
Here is a National School supported by subscription. The Poor's Allotment, 14A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1812, and is let for £18.
Burrows Jas. Williamson schoolr. Empson Thomas vict. Cock Gaze Chas. fish curer and shoemkr. Gibbs Samuel blacksmith Grice William shoemaker Grout George grocer and draper Harris Lieut. Fras. coast guard Leach Henry joiner Manship William boat owner Rands James boat owner Ready Rev Henry, M.A. vicar Thain Samuel blacksmith Warnes Henry corn miller Woolsten Henry parish clerk FARMERS. (* are Owners.) * Bond George Gaze W. coal dlr. Chapman Wm. Stamp * Rope James * Crowe Robert * Sutton Sendall Empson Robt. * Wright James
See also the Sea Palling parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.