Norfolk: Sea Palling


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]

PALLING, a small fishing village and parish on the sea-coast, 18 miles N.E. of Norwich, and 4 miles E. by N. of Stalham, is in Smallburgh union, Happing hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bancruptcy district, Stalham polling district of North Norfolk, Happing division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.

It has a rateable value of £1692, and had 459 inhabitants in 1881, and 830A. 3R. 23P. of land. George Cubitt owns the greater part of the soil. George Randall Johnson, Esq., of Waxham Hall, is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is a plain thatched fabric, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with one bell. In the nave is a tombstone stripped of its brasses, and in the chapel is a piscina. The church is partly pewed, but has some open benches with poppy heads. Rev. Henry L. Rumsey is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the discharged vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £2. 6s. 8d., and has been augmented with £800 of Queen Anne's Bounty, vested in 20A. 3R. 27P. of land at Hickling. It is consolidated with Waxham rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. H. Ready, M.A., of Hickling. The tithes here were commuted in 1838 - the rectorial for £162. 18s., and the vicarial for £93. 8s. per annum.

Here is a chapel, built in 1860, at a cost of £105, and used by the Baptists. The Primitive Methodists have also a chapel, built in 1878, at a cost of £340, and containing £170 [sic] sittings.

The SCHOOL is used by the children of both Palling and Waxham. A School Board for the united parishes of Palling and Waxham has been established here, and consists of the Rev. Henry Ready, B.A. (chairman), George Cubitt (vice-chairman), William Thompson, John Gedge, Wm. French, secretary, and W.H. Cooke of Stalham, clerk.

The coast-guard station was established here in 1820, and has now an officer and six men attached to it. Here are about 40 beachmen and 40 fishermen, employing several small fishing boats. In 1858, the National Lifeboat Association gave a fine lifeboat to the beachmen. There are two lifeboats stationed here, also a life-saving apparatus.

The Poor's Allotment, 14 acres, was awarded at the enclosure in 1812, and is let on lease till 1870, at a rent of £17. 10s. per annum, which is distributed in coals to the poor.

POST OFFICE at Mr Alfred Feather's. Letters from Norwich, viâ Stalham, arrive at 9.30 a.m., and depart at 1.45 p.m. Stalham is the nearest Money Order Office.

         Barber     William        farmer; h Catfield
         Beevor     George         farmer
         Bishop     Benjamin       carpenter
         Bond       Benjamin       farmer
         Broom      Samuel         victualler, Cock inn
         Brown      John           shoemaker
         Crow       German         carrier
         Cubitt     George         farmer, owner, and surveyor, The Hall
         Durrant    William        butcher & shopkpr
         Empson     Jacob          shoemaker
         Feather    Alfd.          grcr. drpr. & Post Office
         French     Edwd.          secty. to Life Boat stn
         Grapes     John           farmer and owner
         Greengrass Samuel
                      Richmond     grocer, draper and overseer
         Grice      James          blacksmith
         Hale       --             grocer and draper
         Johnstone  Miss Jhnna.    Brd. schlmstrss
         Knights    Edward         cartowner
         Littlewood John           farmer and carrier
         Plummer    Robert         farmer
         Pestle     John           shoemaker
         Pestle     Walter         coxswain of lifeboat
         Ready      Rev. Hy. B.A.  vcr.; h. Hickling
         Riches     James          farmer, and superintendent to
                                     Commissioners of Sewers for the Sea Bank
         Sadler     William        parish clerk
         Thompson   William        farmer and owner
         Tuck       Thomas         carpenter and wheelwright
         Warnes     Hewling Luson
                      (exors.)     mlrs
         Wharton    Robert         beerhouse
         Wheeler    Ambrose        chief officer, coast-guard station
         Woodrow    William        farmer
         Wright     James          blacksmith

CARRIERS - German Crow and John Littlewood, to Yarmouth, on Sat.

NOTE by Peter Green - in this extract, the Rev. H. Ready is shown as a B.A. in two references and an M.A. in the first. Entries in other documents have always referred to him as an M.A.
See also the Sea Palling parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 1999