Norfolk: Sedgeford


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Ian Wegg]

SEDGEFORD, a parish and scattered village, in the vale of a small rivulet, between Heacham and Docking, 13 miles N.N.E. of Lynn, has 669 inhabitants, and 4,001 acres, of which, 2,036 acres, with the manor and great tithes, are held of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, by the Rev. S. C. E. N. Rolfe, M.A., of Heacham Hall. The rest belongs partly to the latter, H. L. S. Le Strange, Esq., Capt. Davy, and several smaller proprietors. The Dean and Chapter are also patrons of the vicarage, valued in K. B. at £8, and in 1831 at £246. It is enjoyed by the Rev. C.F. Millard, of Norwich, with 3½A. of glebe.

The CHURCH (St. Mary,) has a round tower, with an octangular top, and has recently been thoroughly repaired, and the interior fitted with new sittings, &c. The east window has been filled with beautiful stained glass, in various designs, by Mr. Wailes, of Newcastle-on-Tyne.

The Wesleyans have a small chapel here.

A National School has lately been erected by the Rev. S. C. E. N. Rolfe.

The Fuel Allotment, 30A. 10P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1797. The poor cut furze upon it, and let the right of killing rabbits for £10 a year. They have also a yearly rent-charge of 10s., left by one Mason, and the dividends of £500 three per cent. Consols, left by Mrs. Frances Rolfe, in 1837, for distributions of clothing.

In the parish was anciently a hamlet called Gnatyngdon, or Nettington, held by Godwin Halden, one of the few Saxons who was allowed to keep his land by the Norman Conqueror.

         Charlesworth Rev. J. W.       curate
         Crisp        Stephen          vict., King's Head
         Gill         Elizabeth        schoolmaster [sic]
         Leggitt      Paul             baker
         Neave        Ann              victualler, Buck
         Onghton      John             bricklayer & beer hs. [see note below]
         Read         William and Son  tailors
         Rolfe        Charles Fawcett
                        Neville, Esq.  Sedgeford Hall
         Smith        Stephen          beer seller
         Taylor       Thomas           basket maker
         Wethered     Mrs.
         Wright       Wm.              carpenter & parish clerk
         Jennings     Samuel
         Kendall      John
         Coe          Cphr. James
         Crisp        William
         Evans        George
         Hudson       Edw.             hind [sic]
         Jary         Hannah
         Rix          George
         Rix          John
         Rix          John, jun.       Eton Farm
         Turner       William
         Wells        Cubitt           East House
         Woods        Mary
         Yaxley       William
            Grocers & Drapers.
         Lambert      Jno., jun.
         Turner       Matthew
         Yaxley       Alice
         Cooper       William
         Rix          Benjamin
         Watson       Robert

Transcription note: This name is probably "Oughton"

See also the Sedgeford parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2000