William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SETCH, or SETCHEY MAGNA, a village and small churchless parish, on the river Nar, 4 miles S. of Lynn, has now only 100 inhabitants, and 790 acres of land, though it was once a market town, Lord Bardolph having, in the reign of Henry III., obtained a charter for a weekly market and two annual fairs. These have long been obsolete; but a fortnight market for fat cattle, was held here, on every alternate Tuesday, till about 16 years ago, when it was removed to Lynn.
Setch had a CHURCH standing in 1528, but no traces of it now remain. It maintains its poor separately, though it is ecclesiastically united with North Runcton, and comprised in that manor. A small room has recently been fitted up for divine service, and licensed by the Bishop.
Here is a farm and large inn, belonging to the corporation of Lynn; and on the opposite side of the river Nar, in Wormegay parish, is Setch Brewery, conducted by George Hogge and Co., maltsters, and wine and spirit merchants, of Lynn.
Allday Thomas vict., Lynn Arms Brooks Susan vict., Bull Robinson William blacksmith Seppings Mr. William Clamp Peter Trenter Benjamin Greenacre Thomas Manor Farm
See also the Setchey parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.