William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SETCH, or SETCHEY MAGNA, is a village and small parish on the river Nar, 4 miles S. of Lynn, in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Lynn county court district and bankruptcy district, Norfolk rural deanery, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £1774, and had 118 inhabitants in 1881, living on 780 acres of land.
Setch was once a market town, Lord Bardolph having, in the reign of Henry III., obtained a charter for a weekly market and two annual fairs. Those have long been obsolete; but a fortnightly market for fat cattle was held here on every alternate Tuesday till about 1830, when it was removed to Lynn.
Setch had a church standing in 1528, though no traces of it now remain; but here is a small chapel-of-ease, erected in 1844 by Daniel Gurney, Esq., F.S.A., and others, and seating 150 persons. The parish maintains its poor separately, though it is ecclesiastically united with North Runcton, and comprised in that manor.
Here is a Wall Letter Box, cleared at 4:45 p.m., week days, and 11:30 a.m., Sundays, via Lynn.
Allday Mrs Mary Ann vict. Lynn Arms; and farmer Barnes James dairyman Brooks Edmund victualler, Bull; and farmer Long Charles Vince brewer's clerk Seals Edward farmer
CARRIERS pass through to Lynn.
See also the Setchey parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.