"SHELFANGER, 2½ miles N. of Diss, has in its parish 445 souls, and 1637 acres of land. The Duke of Norfolk owns part of the soil, and is lord of the manor (fines arbitrary,) and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17, and in 1831, at £455. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. T.B. Morris, with 30A. of glebe. The Church (All Saints,) has a square tower and four bells. Here is a Baptist Chapel, built in 1821. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Redenhall, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Baptisms 1813-1880
- Down, Jonathan; and Farrow, Charles W.
- The Parish Registers of Norfolk, no.25: Shelfanger: 1686-1837.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, 1988]
- Parish Register Transcripts
- Marriages 1687-1699,1729-1837.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Miscellaneous Series of IHGS Parish Registers, 2000?]
- These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Bodle, A.N.; and Palgrave-Moore, Patrick
- Norfolk Nonconformist Registers no.4: Shelfanger Particular Baptist Chapel: Births 1795-1837.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, 1987]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), Shelfanger was in Guiltcross Registration District.
This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930, Shelfanger was in Depwade Registration District for civil registration.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Shelfanger to another place.
Shelfanger is in Diss Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Diss Hundred
- Description of Diss Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Shelfanger has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM107839 (Lat/Lon: 52.412106, 1.097257), Shelfanger which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1821 Census
- "One male upwards of 100 years of age at Shelfanger."
- 1861 Census
- "GUILTCROSS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes of this District is attributed partly to the migration of labourers to towns and manufacturing districts. In some parishes it has also been consequent upon the failure of hand-loom hemp-cloth weaving."
- Village School
- Description, history and picture.