William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
SHERNBOURNE, or Sharnbourne, a small village in a deep valley, near the source of the Ingold rivulet, 11½ miles N.E. by N. of Lynn, is in Docking union, Smithdon and Brothercross petty sessional division, Smithdon hundred, Lynn county court and bankruptcy district, Docking polling district of West Norfolk, Heacham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
The parish, in 1881, had 160 inhabitants, and 1305 acres of land, in two farms, one belonging to Henry James Coldham, Esq., and the other, with the ancient Hall, to the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, who are also lords of the manor, which for six centuries was possessed by an ancient family of its own name, the last of whom was Francis Sharnborne, Esq., who died during the Commonwealth. Their ancient hall, now a farm-house, has been a large moated Elizabethan mansion of brick, but one wing has been destroyed, and the moat is partially filled up.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) is said to have been the second Christian church founded in East Anglia by Felix the Burgundian, who came over to convert the Anglo-Saxons, and is supposed to have founded the first church at Babingley, where he landed; but no part of the original edifice now remains. The present building comprises only a small nave, surmounted by a bell-cot with one bell. It formerly had a chancel, and the arches opening to an aisle, which once existed on the south side, may still be traced. At the east end is a fine brass, with effigies of a knight in armour and a lady, probably some of the Sharnborne family. The font is massive and curiously carved; it is very ancient, probably Saxon. The Registers date from 1747. The church plate is very ancient, but is not dated.
In 1872, this living was consolidated with Fring, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Tweeddale, M.A., who has here a handsome vicarage-house, erected in 1881, at a cost of about £2000. It stands on an eminence overlooking the village, a little north of the church. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8, and now at £120, is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Tweeddale, M.A., who has here 65 acres of glebe. The tithes were all commuted at the enclosure in 1767, for allotments of land, and 14 acres were at the same time awarded to the poor for fuel, and is now let for £13 per annum.
A SCHOOL BOARD for this parish was formed in 1875, and a school and teacher's house was erected in 1876, at a cost of £800. The present members of the Board are Henry James Coldham, Esq. (chairman), Rev. Thomas Tweeddale (vice-chairman), Rev. H.H. Bridgewater, and Messrs. John Williamson and E.S. Parsons. The Rev. T. Tweeddale is honorary clerk to the Board. The school is attended by 44 children.
Here is a Wall Letter Box, cleared at 5 p.m., week days only, via Lynn. Snettisham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office and Railway Station.
Hooks Geo. vict. Bull Inn, & farmer Johnson James shopkeeper Lexster Miss Florence Board schlmstrs Parsons Edmund Strange farmer, The Hall Ransome William parish clerk Tweeddale Rev. Thomas, M.A. vicar, The Vicarage Williamson John farmer, Coldham farm Williamson Thos. John Elliott frmr. Coldham farm
CARRIER - Chas Kemp passes through to Lynn, on Tues.
See also the Shernborne parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.