William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SHIMPLING, 3½ miles N.E. of Diss, has in its parish 230 souls, and 670 acres of land, exclusive of commons. Thos. Dyson, Esq., is lord of the manor, but the Duke of Grafton owns the farm and ancient house, called Shimpling Place; and the Rev. Henry Harrison, of Palgrave, has an estate here, and is patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £226. The Church (St. George,) has a tower and four bells. The glebe is 20A. The Church land is 6½A., and the poor have 12s. a year, left by Wm. Dennington, in 1725.
Chatten Barnabas beer seller
Hammond Edmund joiner
Hammond Jonathan shoemaker
Wilton Thomas blacksmith
Cooke Charles (Shimpling Place)
Wells Thomas (Hall)
See also the Shimpling parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.