William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SHIMPLING, 3½ miles N.E. of Diss, and half a mile E. from Burston Station, is a parish in Depwade union, Diss hundred and county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Diss polling district of South Norfolk, Diss petty sessional division, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 175 inhabitants in 1881, living on 670 acres, and has a rateable value of £1181, exclusive of common.
Mrs. Murch, of Crannels, near Bath, is lady of the manor, but Mr. Charles Chase owns Shimpling Place, a large and ancient house, to which an extensive farm is attached, and part of the moat which once surrounded the house may still be seen. The house formerly belonged to the Duke of Grafton, to whose ancestor it had been granted by Charles II., it having been the property of the regicide, Isaac Pennington. The principal landowners are Charles Chase, Esq., Diss, Henry Green, Esq., and Thomas Mann, Esq., Thelveton Hall.
The CHURCH (St. George) comprises nave, chancel, and tower. The latter, which contains four bells, is round at the base and octagonal above, and is surmounted by a small shingle spire, which was added in 1863. The font is of stone, handsomely carved, and bearing the emblems of the Evangelists and the instruments of the Passion, but it is disfigured by a coat of paint. The windows contain many fragments of ancient stained glass, and in the east window are the arms of the Shimpling and Le Grys families. In the centre of the floor is a small brass to Robert Le Grys, dated 1598. The church has been partially restored, and open benches have been substituted for the old pews.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10 13s. 4d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Jeffery Watson Millard, M.A., who has a good residence, about 30 acres of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £230.
There is a small piece of land in Gissing, left by an unknown donor, for the repair of the church, and 5s. a year are paid out of land at Shelfanger for the same purpose. The poor have 12s. a year left by William Dennington in 1725.
POST from Scole.
Berry John market gardener Bolton Arthur V. frmr. The Hall frm Catchpole George parish clerk Ford George farmer Green Mr Henry The Hall Harris Henry shopkeeper Millard Rev. Jeffery Watson, M.A. Rectory Sutton - blacksmith Warnes Samuel farmer and cattle dlr. Shimpling Place
See also the Shimpling parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.