William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SHINGHAM, 4 miles S.W. of Swaffham, is in Swaffham union and county court district, South Greenhoe petty sessional division, King's Lynn bankruptcy district, partly in South Greenhoe and Clackclose hundreds, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, Fincham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 71 inhabitants in 1881, living on 935 acres, and has a rateable value of £292.
The CHURCH (St. Bardolph) is a small Norman edifice, the chancel of which has been recently restored for a mortuary chapel; but no service is held in the nave, which is dangerous from decay.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 6s. 8d., is consolidated with Beechamwell All Saints, Beechamwell St. Mary's, and Beechamwell St. John's. (See page 145 [which is the entry for Beechamwell].) It was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1794, and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £108 per annum.
POST from Swaffham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Boddy Mrs Honor clerk Chapman Wm. farm bailiff to Joshua Fielden, Esq.
See also the Shingham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.