Hide

Skeyton

hide
Hide

"SKEYTON, 3 miles E. by S. of Aylsham, and 11 miles N. of Norwich, has in its parish 351 souls, and 1264A. of fertile land, rising in bold swells from a meandering rivulet, and belong [sic] to a number of owners, who purchased their estates about 16 years ago of Viscount Anson, now Earl of Lichfield, who is still lord of the manor of Skeyton Hall; but part of the parish is in the manor of Whitwell Hall, which belongs to, and is occupied by, Mr. L.B. Leggett. The Church (All Saints,) stands on a bold eminence, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 10s., and augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1792, now consolidated with Oxnead rectory and Buxton vicarage, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Anson, and patronage of S. Bignold, Esq. The joint benefices were valued in 1831, at £682 per annum, and the tithes of Skeyton were commuted in 1840 for £343 per annum, besides £15 paid yearly to the rector of Swanton-Abbot. Robert King, who died here in 1727, aged 103, had "an entire new set of teeth about ten years before his death." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

Hide

The name may be pronounced as Skyton.

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
topup

Church History

Church of All Saints
Description and pictures.
Church of All Saints
Services, etc.
Holman, Peter
Six high and lonely churches.
St Giles, Bradfield; St Peter, Corpusty; St Peter, North Barningham; All Saints, Skeyton; All Saints, Thwaite; St Andrew, Wickmere.
[ISBN 0952156474, Aylsham, Aylsham Local History Society, 1997]
Wortley, John Dixon
An account of the parish church of Skeyton.
[Norwich, Goose, 1923]
 
From The Wesleyan Methodist Magazine, Volume 9, Third Series, January 1830, page 50.
"On October 9th, at SKEYTON, a beautiful little chapel, 28 feet by 17, was opened by the Rev. Messrs. A.E. Farrar and Titus Close; and on the following Sunday, by the Rev. Messrs. William Kelk and Isaac Denison. The whole expense of the erection is £100; towards which about £30 was subscribed and collected. This village was visited by the Preachers in 1784, and at intervals ever since. About four years ago, a hired room was fitted up for the accommodation of the people. It was well attended, and sinners brought to God in it. Having now entered a place, superior in every respect, we hope that greater things will be effected in the name of the Lord."
topup

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1813-1880
Archdeacons' Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Skeyton was in Aylsham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

Skeyton
News, organisations, parish council, church, etc.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Skeyton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Skeyton is in South Erpingham Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
Description of Tunstead Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Skeyton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
Statement of Claims (74): Skeyton, Burgh next Aylsham, and Tuttington.
[Norwich, Stevenson, Matchett and Stevenson, 1815]
Great Britain: Statute
Skeyton, Burgh-next-Aylsham and Tuttington Inclosure Act, 1814.
An act for inclosing lands in the parishes of Skeyton, Burgh next Aylsham, and Tuttington, in the county of Norfolk.
[Independently printed edition of the act, 1814]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG248258 (Lat/Lon: 52.782883, 1.332262), Skeyton which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Skeyton became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.
  • Buxton and other parishes poor relief and employment act, 1806.
    See Brampton.
topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
18014472326
18114872340
18214770324
18315376317
184178--351
185184--384
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
186184--341
18717272330
18816971313
18916868277
19016970296
1911--70291

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1901 Census
"Including Skeyton Common, and Skeyton Corner."