William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]
SKEYTON, 3 miles E. by S. of Aylsham, and 11 miles N. of Norwich, has in its parish 351 souls, and 1264A. of fertile land, rising in bold swells from a meandering rivulet, and belong [sic] to a number of owners, who purchased their estates about 16 years ago of Viscount Anson, now Earl of Lichfield, who is still lord of the manor of Skeyton Hall; but part of the parish is in the manor of Whitwell Hall, which belongs to, and is occupied by, Mr. L.B. Leggett.
The Church (All Saints,) stands on a bold eminence, and the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 10s., and augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1792, now consolidated with Oxnead rectory and Buxton vicarage, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Anson, and patronage of S. Bignold, Esq. The joint benefices were valued in 1831, at £682 per annum, and the tithes of Skeyton were commuted in 1840 for £343 per annum, besides £15 paid yearly to the rector of Swanton-Abbot.
Robert King, who died here in 1727, aged 103, had "an entire new set of teeth about ten years before his death."
August Wm. blksmith & vict. Goat Buck Richard wheelwright Buck Miles joiner and grocer Chubbock Robert butcher and vict. Black Horse Hunt John shoemkr [see note below] Riches Edw. shoemkr [see note below] Stracey Rev William curate Wortley Mrs Maria FARMERS. (Marked * are Owners.) * Andrews Thos. Beck Clement Bugden Henry * Dennis John * Leggett Laverock Barnard Whitwell Hall * Moore John Nockles Samuel * Postle John Skeyton Hall Rice George Roofe William * Wortley Samuel (beerhouse)
Note: in the original these are
Hunt John & Riches Edw. shoemkrs
See also the Skeyton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.