William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SLOLEY parish, 5 miles S. of North Walsham, has 219 souls, and 720 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Rev. Benj. Cubitt. of Sloley House, a neat mansion of white brick, seated on a gentle declivity half a mile S.W. of the Church (St. Bartholomew,) which has a tower and three bells. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 8d., in the gift of the Earl of Orford, and incumbency of the Rev. B. Cubitt. The glebe, 10A., is at Honing, and the tithes were commuted in 1842 for £250 per annum.
The rector built a School in 1841, and pays the schoolmistress for teaching poor children.
The Poor's Allotment, 11A. 1R., awarded in 1815, is let to poor familes at rents amounting to about £18. At an early period, John Ketteringham left to the poor two cottages and half an acre of land, now occupied nearly rent free, and 4A. 1R. 4P., let for £7. The poor have also the interest of £22, which arose from the sale of a cottage.
Burrell Samuel mole catcher Cobb John wheelwright Cole John shoemaker Cubitt Rev. Benj. rector, Sloley House Hunt John vict., Maid's Head Middleton Joseph cooper and shopkeeper Shepherd John yeoman Thurtle Ellen schoolmistress farmers August Simon (smith) Jay Charlotte Kerrison John Postle Wm. Smith Wm. Steward James Taylor Philip Thurtle John
See also the Sloley parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.