William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pamela Littlefair]
SLOLEY parish, 4 miles S. of North Walsham, is in Smallburgh union, Tunstead hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Coltishall polling district of North Norfolk, Tunstead division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 264 inhabitants in 1881, living on 720 acres, and has a rateable value of £1542. The parish mostly belongs to the Rev. James White, M.A., who is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Bartholomew) comprises nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The tower occupies a somewhat unusual position, being placed at the west end of the north aisle; whilst the first bay of the south aisle is cut off to form the entrance porch. This aisle, however, extends beyond the nave, one bay farther eastward than the north aisle. The building appears to have been erected about the middle of the 15th century, but it underwent a thorough repair in 1841, when many of its details were changed.
The east and west windows are decorated with stained glass, and the chancel contains a piscina and sedilia. The east ends of the aisles were formerly chapels, and each of them retains its piscina. The chapel in the south aisle was dedicated to St. James, and that in the north to St. Erasmus. The former contains a curious altar-tomb to Oliver le Groos, under an arch in the wall. On the communion table is carved 'I.G. 1634.' The ancient octagonal font has sculptured panels representing the Seven Sacraments and the Baptism of our Lord; and the shaft and pedestal are also richly carved. Here are several neat mural monuments, one of which is in memory of the Rev. William Gunn, B.A., who died in 1841 at the age of 91, after having been rector of this parish for the long period of 57 years.
The Rev. James White, M.A., is patron and incumbent of the living, and resides at Sloley House, a neat mansion of white brick, half a mile S.W. of the church. The discharged rectory was valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., and has a yearly rent-charge of £255, awarded in 1842 in lieu of tithes. The Rev. H.J. Coleman, M.A., is the curate.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, built in 1869, at a cost of £160, and has 140 sittings.
The present School was built by the Rev. J. White in 1874.
The Poor's Allotment, 18A. 1R., awarded in 1815, is let to poor families at rents amounting to £18 5s. At an early period, John Ketteringham left to the poor two cottages and 4A. 2R. 4P. of land, now let for £13 2s. 6d.
POST from Norwich, but Worstead is the nearest Money Order Office.
August William blacksmith and farmer Bambridge Robert carpenter Coleman Rev. Henry John, M.A. curate; h Westwick Ducker Richard farmer; h Westwick Garrod Mrs Rachel shopkeeper Ives Charles shopkeeper Newman William shopkeeper Nockelds Mrs Mary Ann (exors. of) victualler, Maid's Head Inn Spink - shopkeeper & general dlr Steward William farmer, overseer, and rate collector Starkings James farm steward White Rev. James, M.A. vicar Willett Mr Gerald Edwd. Sloley ldge Wiseman Arthur farmer
See also the Sloley parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.