"SNETTISHAM is a village and parish, with station on the Lynn and Hunstanton railway, half a mile south-west from the village, which is 11 miles north-north-east from Lynn and 108¾ from London, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese : it is situated on the coast road between Hunstanton and Lynn. The church of St. Mary was beautifully renovated in 1856, . . . adorned with richly-stained glass, chiefly the gift of Mrs. Dora Hill : there are memorial windows, . . . erected by Capt. Campbell, to his mother; . . . one by several friends, to Mr. John Dawes, of Preedy, architect; . . . to Ann Maris, the wife of the Rev. H. H. Bridgwater M.A.: . . . effigy of Sir Wymond Carye, who died in 1612, . . . portrayed the figures of John Cremer and his family, dated 1610 : . . . the vaults of the le Stranges, . . . The registers date—marriages, from 1754; burials and baptisms, from 1760. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £110, arising from tithe rent charge, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1878 by the Rev. Henry Hugh Bridgwater M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. . . . The Old Hall, the property of Edward Green esq J.P. of Wakefield, Yorkshire. is a spacious mansion . . . The New Hall has been erected for Mr. Green, . . .The chief landowner is Edward Green esq. . . . The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and mangolds. The area is 5,580 acres; rateable value, £9,991; the population in 1881 was 1,235. SOUTHGATE is a hamlet, three quarters of a mile south-west from the church." [Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, (1883) Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Heacham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Snettisham Parish Council
- Minutes, etc.
- Lingwood, Lemmon
- Jarrold's Guide to Hunstanton.
The illustrated handbook to Hunstanton and neighbourhood, including Sandringham, Castle Rising, King's Lynn, Heacham, West Newton, and Snettisham.
[Norwich, Jarrold, 1900s]
- Snettisham Mill
- Description, history and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Snettisham to another place.
Snettisham is in Smithdon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Smithdon Hundred
- Description of Smithdon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Snettisham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Bingham, John
- A Famous Victory: an account of the early years of Snettisham Parish Council, and of the courage and determination shown by the parishioners, led by William French, in preventing the closure of the Ken Hill footpath.
[Snettisham, Torc Books, 1983]
- Bingham, John
- Salute to a Village, A History of Snettisham, Norfolk.
[The Author, 1989]
- Bingham, John
- Snettisham's Common Rights.
- Harding, Robert W.
- A Tour of Snettisham.
- Massen, S.
- The Snettisham Treasure
- The Iron Age treasure discovered at Snettisham, from Current Archaeology.
- Clarke, Roy Rainbird
- The Snettisham Treasure.
- Snettisham Romano-British Villa
- Short description.
- James, Elizabeth M.
- The Old Hall, Snettisham, and the Styleman Family.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology" vol.38, 1983]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF685340 (Lat/Lon: 52.876745, 0.501679), Snettisham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- History of the Hall's Exhibition Foundation
- Hall's Grammar School was established in 1804, under the will of Anthony Hall, who left endowments for it. After it closed, the Hall's Exhibition Foundation was set up. This is a charitable trust to assist in the education of young people of Snettisham.