Norfolk: Great Snoring
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Paul Beesley]
SNORING, (GREAT) a parish and considerable village, 2 miles S. of Walsingham, and 3½ miles N.E. by N. of Fakenham, contains about 1,600 acres of land, belonging to several proprietors, -- the largest of whom is John Dugmore, Esq., of Swaffham, the lord of the manor, in which the copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines. The ancient lords were the Burgolyons, Sheltons, and Richardsons. It had 556 inhabitants, in 1841, including 81 in Walsingham Union Workhouse, which is already noticed at page 669 [See North Greenhoe Hundred].
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary,) has a fine tower with one bell, and formerly had a spire. It has some ancient stone stalls, and the effigies of Sir Richard Shelton and his lady, beautifully engraved in brass. The Sheltons built the rectory-house, which is a fine specimen of ornamental brickwork.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £24 has 36A. of glebe, and is consolidated with Thursford, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Cphr. Stannard, B.D., who is lord of a small manor, called Snorings, (fines certain.) The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £610 per annum; and the tithes were commuted in 1840.
The Church Land, 2A. 8P., with a cottage upon it, is let for £5 2s. In 1688, John Pearson, bishop of Chester, left for the poor £20, which was laid out with £20 left by the Rev. Robt. West, in 1676, in the purchase of land, now consisting of 6A. 3R 31P., let for £8 which is distributed in bread and coals. The poor have also the dividends of £209 18s. three per cent. Consols, purchased with £200 left by John Alvis, in 1823.
Archer James farm-bailiff Archer Robert castrator Bray Benjamin schoolmaster Bushell Jonas machine maker Claxton Violet vict., Three Tuns Comer William shoemaker Cook David wheelwright Dunn S. tailor Jackson Christopher bricklayer Lack Thomas shoemaker and victualler, Unicorn Plane John shoemaker and baker Platten Robert master of Workhouse Savage Henry shopkeeper Southgate Chas. miller & millwrgt. Stannard Rev. Cphr., B.D. Rectory Blacksmiths. Girdlestone Rt. Granger Charles Loades Jarrett Pond FARMERS. * are owners Bradfield Charles * Bray William Hall James Page Christopher, Old Hall Southgate Samson Southgate Wm. * Ward Edmund * Whistler John Wright Robert
See also the Great Snoring parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.