"SOMERTON (EAST,) 8 miles N. by W. of Yarmouth, is a small, but picturesque hamlet and parish, now united with Winterton, its own Church (St. Mary,) having long been an ivy-mantled ruin. It comprises only 61 inhabitants, and about 800 acres of land, all belonging to that distinguished statesman, Joseph Hume, Esq., M.P., who purchased it in 1824. Somerton House, now unoccupied, was built about the beginning of the 18th century, by J. Husband, Esq.; and its beautiful lawn, gardens, walks, and plantations, were much improved by the late J.B. Huntington, Esq. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from East Somerton to another place.
East Somerton is in West Flegg Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- Description of East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which East Somerton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG480195 (Lat/Lon: 52.716071, 1.670094), East Somerton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)