"SOUTHBURGH, or Southbergh, commonly called Barrow, is a parish of scattered houses, near the Blackwater rivulet, 3 miles N.W. by N. of Hingham, and 15 miles W. by S. of Norwich; comprising 307 inhabitants and 1211 acres of land, divided into two manors, of which T.T. Gurdon and J. Weyland, Esqrs., are lords and principal owners. The CHURCH (St. Andrew) has lost its tower, . . . The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5.13s.6d., and in 1831 at £253. It was augmented with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1795. T.T. Gurdon, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Philip Gurdon incumbent. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- St Andrew's Church, Southburgh: Memorial Inscriptions.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 2002?]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Hingham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Church of St Andrew
- Description and pictures.
- Archdeacon's Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Parish Register Extracts
- These extracts have been found by the Norfolk transcribers for FreeREG, in the Southburgh register of baptisms 1700-1812, marriages 1700-1756, and burials 1700-1812.
The names of the rectors were Nathanial Saltier and Parker Gurdon.
1732 June 27. 1732 The Church of Southburgh
was broke into & robbed of the Communion Plate.
N. Saltier Rector ibid: 1762 For mocking of the Church due £0: 6s: 8d
which was paid by Thos. Howlett of
Watton upon refusal of marriage
of Wm. Potter's daughter of this Parish. Feb 7th 1762
Witness P. Gurdon Rector.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk
- 1937: Kelly's Directory for Norfolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Southburgh to another place.
Southburgh is in Mitford hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Southburgh has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See Reymerston
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Mitford and Launditch Registration District, 1836
- and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF996047 (Lat/Lon: 52.603673, 0.945769), Southburgh which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)