"SOUTHWOOD, 11 miles E.S.E. of Norwich, has in its parish only 52 souls, and 471A. of land, mostly belonging to R.H.V. Walpole, and R. Nevill, Esqrs., the lords of the manor. The Church (St. Edmund,) is a discharged rectory, valued in 1831 at £170, with the vicarage of Limpenhoe annexed to it, in the patronage of J.F. Leathes, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. J.M. Johnson, of Scoulton. The glebe here is 7A., and the tithes have been commuted for £145 per annum. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Edmund.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Southwood to another place.
Southwood is in Blofield Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Blofield Hundred
- Description of Blofield Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Southwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG397055 (Lat/Lon: 52.594028, 1.53714), Southwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)