William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SPARHAM, a pleasant village and parish, on the Norwich and Fakenham turnpike, 4 miles S.W. of Reepham, has 321 souls, and 1660 acres of land. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) has a tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £9. 17s. 11d., has 92A. of glebe, a good residence, and a yearly rent of £481, awarded in 1842, in lieu of tithes. E. Loombe, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Thomas Starling Norgate, incumbent.
The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, built of wood.
At the enclosure, in 1806, an allotment of 20A. was awarded to the poor, for fuel. They have also two tenements, purchased with £35, given by Benjamin Bourne and others.
Bullock Stephen blacksmith Fish James shoemaker Lynn Mr James Plumley Charles vict. Green Man Neale Robt. baker and shopkeeper Norgate Rev Thos. Starling rector Norton John wheelwright Springall George shoemaker Stoughton Clarke, Esq. Taylor Richard carpenter Trowse Charles shopkeeper FARMERS, (* are owners.) Canham Henry *Clarke John Leeds Stephen *Middleton John (chief constable) Nelson James and Thomas Sarsby John farm bailiff Winter Robert
See also the Sparham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.