William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
SPIXWORTH, 4 miles N. by E. of Norwich, is a parish in St. Faith's union, Taverham hundred and petty sessional division, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, St. Faith's polling district of South Norfolk, Taverham rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 64 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1215 acres, and has a rateable value of £2116.
The parish is bounded on the north by a rivulet, and belongs to the Rev. Robert Longe, the lord of the manor, whose son, Captain Robert B. Longe, resides at the Hall, a fine old Elizabethan brick mansion in a well-wooded park of 178 acres, which was purchased by the Longe family in 1690, of T. Peck, Esq.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) comprises nave with south aisle, chancel and square tower. The latter is curiously situated at the south-west angle of the church, and its upper portion, which contains two bells, was rudely rebuilt many years ago. The chancel was restored in 1856 by the rector, at a cost of £70, and contains many marble tablets of the Longe and Howes families, and one to General Charles Leigh. It has also a fine marble monument, with recumbent effigies of Wm. Peck and his wife under an arch supported by Corinthian columns, and bearing English and Latin inscriptions, dated 1634.
The piscina and sedilia are rich specimens of the Decorated style; and the handsomely carved screen was restored by the patron. Here are a few brasses and a curious old stone font of the Norman period. The roof of the church fell down in 1804, when the present unsightly flat one was substituted
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, is now in the patronage of the above-mentioned Rev. Robert Longe, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Howes, M.A., who has a good residence, which was built in 1705, by the Rev. J. Hoadley, afterwards Archbishop of Armagh, and enlarged in 1756, by the Rev. J. Longe. The glebe is 7A. 2R. 15P., and the tithes were commuted in 1838, for £362 per annum.
POST OFFICE. Post from Norwich, viâ St. Faith's. Nearest Money Order Office at St. Faith's, and Telegraph Office at Norwich.
Barrett William farmer
Burdett Benjamin farm-steward
Gowing George farmer; h Hellesdon
Graver William blacksmith
Howes Rev. Henry, M.A. rector, The Rectory
Longe Captain Robert B. The Hall
Reynolds John W. frmr.; h Keswick
See also the Spixworth parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.