Norfolk: Stalham


Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with Part of Suffolk, 1850

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

STALHAM, a compact and well-built village, equal in commercial consequence to many small towns, is pleasantly situated on the main road between North Walsham and Yarmouth, and proverbially characterised for the unity existing among its spirited inhabitants, and their unlimited kindness to strangers. [Its] retail shops are highly respectable, and the commercial inns (of which there are two) are replete with every requisite calculated to secure comfort and conviviality, nor are they wanting of sources of amusement, as each of them possesses a billiard table, and a bowling green.

Two coaches, and several carriers, regularly start for Norwich (distant 14 miles S.W.) and for Yarmouth (distant 16 miles S.E.) two or three times a week; besides which a constant communication with the latter town is continually effected by means of wherries on the Broads, from two wharfs or staithes which lie a little south of the village.

Not far from these staithes, is Stalham Hall, the seat of Miss Brooke, who is lady of the manor of Lindford and Wilds. There is also in the parish the manor of Stalham Hall, of which a reverend gentleman, named Richard Johnson, a non-resident, is the lord.

The parish church and a Wesleyan chapel are the places of worship, and a school on the National plan provides education for the children of needy residents. The Poor's Allotment, and the bequests of money left by benevolent individuals, materially tend to relieve the distresses of the indigent parishioners. The parish comprises an area of 1760 acres, and the population in 1841 was 729.

POST-OFFICE at Miles Fenn's. Letters delivered at 10.30 a.m. and despatched to Norwich and all parts, via Coltishall, at 3.10 p.m.

         Allcock    Elizabeth         grocery dealer
         Allcock    George            saddler
         Allcock    John              shoemaker
         Baker      William           whitesmith
         Bates      Ann Elizth.       straw bonnet mkr.
         Bates      Robert            gig builder
         Bilham     William           basket maker
         Bond       John              cooper
         Boorne     Mr. William
         Brooke     Miss Susannah
                      Ellis           Stalham Hall
         Bulley     William           blacksmith
         Burton     Jonathan          coal and corn merchant, lime burner
         Clark      Richard           butcher
         Clowes     William           surgeon & registrar of births and deaths
         Cooke      Mrs. Sophia
         Cooke      Wm.               corn merchant & miller
         Crisp      Moses             clerk
         Fenn       Miles             glover and grocer
         Fenn       Thomas Miles      'Swan Inn'
         Fitt       Thomas            saddler, ironmonger, oil and colourman
         Gibbs      Valentine         coal dealer
         Gidney     George            earthenware dealer
         Gray       James             gardener & seedsman
         Howard     John              shoemaker
         Juby       William           cattle dealer
         Keeler     Samuel            joiner
         Lack       Thomas            tailor
         Lacy       Robert            veterinary surgeon
         Le Frank   Mr. James
         Martins    James             agent to the Rev. R. Johnson
         Parr       Sarah             boarding and day school
         Pestell    Hannah            straw bonnet mkr.
         Pestell    Hannah            milliner and dressmaker
         Pestell    John B.           painter, glazier and paper-hanger
         Pestell    Peter             joiner
         Porter     Charles           druggist
         Richardson Robert            farrier
         Rogers     Ellis             tailor
         Rust       William           wheelwright
         Salmon     Robert            shoemaker
         Silcock    John              wine, spirit and corn merchant
         Silcock    Richard Boardman  grocer, draper and agent to the
                                        Norwich Union fire and life office
         Snelling   William           shoemaker
         Spanton    Humphrey          painter, glazier, &c.
         Swann      Mrs. Jemima
         Thompson   Jph.              tailor
         Thurlow    James             painter, glazier, &c.
         Trorey     Robert            shoemaker
         Turner     Samuel            baker and confectioner
         Watts      Robert            'Maid's Head Inn'
         Webb       John Craske, Esq. The Hall
         White      Rev. James, M.A.
         Wilkins    Robert            bricklayer
         Willis     Ephraim           watch and clock maker
         Wilsea     Thomas            brazier & tinman
         Cock       Robert            Slipper    John Armine
         Harvey     Robert            Stannard   Samuel
         Jay        William           West       John Merriman
         Richardson Robert

COACHES to Norwich, Lack's, also Whall's, Mon. Wed. and Sat. at 8 morn. To Yarmouth, Annison's, Mon. Wed. & Sat. at half-past 7 morn.; also Pooley's, Wednesday and Sat. same time.

CARRIERS to Cromer, Foulger, Sat. 4 aft. To Norwich, Marsh, 1 aft. To Yarmouth, Foulger, Friday, 1 afternoon.

See also the Stalham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2011