William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
STALHAM, a small market town, on the Lynn and Fakenham Railway, 8½ miles S.E. of North Walsham, and 14½ N.E. by N. of Norwich, is a parish in Smallburgh union, Happing hundred, Happing and Tunstead petty sessional division, North Walsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stalham polling district of North Norfolk, Happing division of Waxham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 852 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1759 acres of land, exclusive of 33 acres of roads and water. Its rateable value is £1754. A little south of the village are two wharves or staiths, with corn warehouses, coal yards, &c., on the Broads, which are navigable thence to Yarmouth. Robert Cooke's exors. are lords of the manor of Linford and Wilds, and George Randall Johnson, Esq., is lord of the manor of Stalham Hall. They are also impropriators of most of the great tithes, and with the Rev. James White, are the principal landowners.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) consists of nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower with one bell. The clerestory is lighted by quatrefoils. There are some remains of the panels belonging to the chancel screen, bearing painted figures of St. Andrew, St. Thomas of Canterbury, St. Edward, St. Edmund, St. Roch, and St. Francis. In the south aisle is the ancient but mutilated stoup. The octagonal font was restored in 1861, and bears carvings of the Apostles, the Baptism of Christ, and the Resurrection.
In 1864, an organ and choir seats were erected in the chancel of the church by the present vicar, and with the permission of G.R. Johnson, Esq., lay impropriator; a further restoration of the church took place in the years 1872 and 1873 at a cost of £450. There is a brass to the Riches family dated 1624. The Register dates from the year 1560.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5; but it was augmented in 1753 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and has now a good residence, with 9A. 2R., of glebe. The Rev. James White, M.A., is patron, and the Rev. Joseph Neville White, B.A., is the incumbent. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £363 per annum, and the vicarial for £194 per annum. About 480 acres are free of great tithes.
The National School, built by the Rev. B. Cubitt in 1841, and enlarged by the present vicar in 1862, is now used as a Sunday school. A SCHOOL BOARD for the united parishes of Stalham and Brumstead was established in 1875, and consists of the Rev. J. Neville White (chairman) and Messrs. - Ingham (vice), B.C. Silcock, E. Cooke, W.H. Jay (Stalham); and Mr. George Gladden. Mr. Joshua Meale is clerk. New schools have been erected at a cost of £1450, to accommodate 140 children.
Here is a small Wesleyan and a Baptist chapel. The Police Station was built in 1855 at a cost of £750, and attached are residences for an inspector and one police constable. A Fire Engine was established here in 1833. The Corn Hall is a neat brick structure, erected in 1855 by a company of shareholders at a cost of about £470, but it is now used for concerts, lectures, &c. The farmers and corn merchants meet for the transaction of business at the Maid's Head Inn, and the Rational Sick Society has its lodge here. The Lecture Hall was built in 1858 and afterwards enlarged, at a total cost of about £200. It is used by various denominations for religious meetings.
The Poor's Allotment, 72A. 34P., awarded under the Enclosure Act of 47th Geo. III. (1807), is let by the year to several holders, and the rents are given in money to the natives of the parish and their descendants. In 1626, John Riches left for the poor £10, which was laid out in the purchase of a house, which was sold by the overseers for £80. In 1634, Thomas Smith left a house and land, to pay yearly £5 to the poor, and 13s. 4d. to the vicar. Including an allotment of 3A. 18P. awarded to it at the enclosure, the property now belonging to this charity consists of a house, stable, blacksmith's shop, and 7 acres of land, let for £31. 10s. per annum, the whole of which, except for 13s. 4d. to the vicar, is distributed among the poor. In 1718, Catherine Smith left 6 acres, called the Long Closes, to the vicar, for reading prayers every Wednesday and Friday in Lent, but subject to the yearly payment of 16s. for the poor, and 4s. to the clerk for cleaning her monument.
The Sutton New Friendly Society, for the united parishes of Stalham, Sutton, Hickling, Catfield, Ludham, and Potter Heigham, was established in 1840, and has 460 members, and is under the management of the Vicar of Stalham.
POST OFFICE at Mrs. Emily Margaret Cattermoul's. Letters viâ Norwich arrive at 6 a.m., and depart at 4.20 a.m. for Norwich and 5.50 p.m. for Great Yarmouth. This is also a Money Order Office, Post Office Savings Bank, Telegraph Office, and Government Annuity Office.
Allcock Edward carpenter Allcock George saddler Allcock William joiner and builder Andrews & Co. shoemakers Barcham John accountant, agent for Norwich Union, the General Hailstorm, and the Norwich & London Accident Insurance Cos. Batchelor John builder & contractor Bates Robert & Son (James) blacksmiths, coachmakers & whlwrights Bilham Miss Betsy Bilham Daniel vict. Swan Inn Bilham Ephraim tailor and draper Bilham Gaze saddler Bilham Robert basket maker Bradbury Robert chemist & bkseller Bristow Alfred miller, corn merchant, and farmer; and East Ruston Burton Mrs Sarah coal, &c. merchant, wharfinger and vessel owner, water carrier, &c. Cattermoul Mrs Emma Margaret grocer, draper and postmistress Clowes Francis & J.S. surgeons Clowes Francis surgeon & registrar; h Sutton Cooke Edwd. frmr. & ownr. The Hall Cooke Mr Henry The Farm Cooke Robert, jun. farmer and mert.; h Smallburgh Daniels Thomas grocer and draper Davison Daniel grocer and baker Draper Wm. Robert blacksmith, engineer, ironfndr., & machine maker Fish John Horatio vict. Railway Inn, and livery and bait stables Fisher Mrs Emma lodgings Fitt Henry who. & retail furnishing, builders' & general ironmonger, oil and colourman, and gun, fishing and sporting agent Fitt Henry (late John Silcock & Sons), who. wine, spirit, ale & porter mert. Frosdick Thomas farmer & machine owner, Leo house Girdlestone Robert hairdresser and cutlery grinder Grapes John vict. Maid's Head Inn; and farmer at Barton Turf Harvey John farmer Hunting J.C., M.R.C.V.S. vet. surgn Jay Wm. Howard assistant overseer Keeler Geo. basket maker & farmer Klitz Mrs Areana Lack Thomas tailor and draper Lancaster James Board schoolmaster Laws Charles F. butcher Leatherdale Mrs. cab & coach propr Lingwood Jeremiah agent for the County Fire Insurance Co. London Edward tea dealer London James blacksmith Lupton Frederick solicitor, comsr. to administer oaths in the Supreme Court of Judicature, agent for the Royal Fire and Life, and the Imperial Live Stock Ins. Cos. and solicitor to the Ant Preservation and Angling Society Meale Joshua grocer, wine and spirit agent, and clerk to School Board Miles Robert watchmaker Miles Samuel Robert vety. surgeon Moore Major Dunn lodgings Peggs Miss Ann dressmaker Peggs Mrs Ann laundress Perfitt Robert Joseph stonemason Pestell John Balls plumber & painter Potter George baker & pork butcher Reynolds Miss Riches Edward miller and merchant; h Catfield Rising Miss Rust James millwright Rust William engineer, machinist, and millwright Salmon John beer retailer & shopkpr Salmon John Pollard farmer, Chapel field Salmon Wm. farmer, Chapel field Savory & Son upholsterers Savory William tunist Seago Hy. pork butcher & gardener Seago Thomas grocer, tea & provision dlr. outfitter & refreshment rooms Silcock Boardman Charles farmer, Manor house Simons Robt. Bloomfield btchr. & fmr Spanton Mrs Catherine plumber, pntr. and glass, china & earthenware dlr Stearman Robert Marler ironmonger, oil and lamp dealer Stimpson Geo. parish clerk & carrier Taylor Wm. Fredk. stationmaster Teasel Josiah Cubitt boat builder Turner Walter joiner & wheelwright Tuddenham Wm. police inspector Webb Miss Mary A. Willow Lake hs. White Rev. Joseph Neville,B.A. vicar, The Vicarage Woods James tailor and draper Wortley Geo. farmer, West End frm
RAILWAY - Station on the L. & F. R. Co. trains to and from Yarmouth and Lynn several times a day; W.F. Taylor, stationmaster
CARRIER to Norwich, George Stimpson, Weds & Sats
CONVEYANCE - Leatherdale's coach from Swan Inn to Norwich, on Mons. Weds. and Sats
WATER CONVEYANCE - Mrs. Burton's vessels to & from Yarmouth, weekly
Note that the "Ant Preservation and Angling Society" (shown under Frederick Lupton) refers to the river Ant, not to an insect.
Also, Mrs Cattermoul's names are given as "Emily Margaret" and as "Emma Margaret" at different places in the text.
See also the Stalham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.