William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
STIBBARD, a scattered village, 4 miles E. of Fakenham, has in its parish 453 souls, and 1,421 acres of land, rising in bold undulations, and partly the property of Edm. Wodehouse, Esq. M.P., the lord of the manor; but some of it is in W.B. Gill, Esqr.'s manor of Stibbard-Docking; and the Kerslake, Francis, King, Rump, and other families, are land owners here. Hobbys Hole and another farm belong to Mr. Thos. Emery.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11 13s. 4d., and consolidated with Colkirk, in the incumbency of the Rev. Ralph Tatham, D.D., (see p. 329 [which is the entry for Colkirk].) The glebe is 23A. 2R. 23P.
The Methodists have a small chapel here.
The Fuel Allotment, 22A. 3R. 19P., let for about £25, was awarded at the enclosure in 1808, when the Town Land, held by the overseers, was exchanged for 6A. 1R. 33P. The poor have also 26s. 8d. yearly, left by one Pearce.
Bambridge John joiner Eglinton Jas. blacksmith Empson Eliz. shopkeeper [see note below] Francis Rev. Pp. Stibbard Lodge Haylett Thos. vict., Crown Kedge Jas. shopkeeper [see note below] King Wm. timber merchant and ordnance contractor Manby Rev. N.M. curate Neale Edmund blacksmith Neale Robt. shopkeeper [see note below] Pigott John vict., Falgate Prior Jonth. beer seller [see note below] Sayer Jas. beer seller [see note below] Southgate Samuel wheelwright farmers Bell Mary Hill Harrison King John King William Rayner Rawling Robotham Robert Sturman Mrs.
Note: In the original these are:
Jas. Kedge, Robt. Neale, and Eliz. Empson, shopkeepers
Jonth. Prior and Jas. Sayer, beer sellers
See also the Stibbard parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.