"STIFFKEY, 3 miles E. of Wells, is a fine rural village, seated in a deep, romantic, and well wooded dale, on the banks of a small river, which discharges itself into the ocean, about 1½ mile to the north-east, and formerly had a quay and harbour. The parish contains 487 inhabitants, and about 2,235 acres, of which, about 600 are salt marsh, . . . Lord Charles Townshend owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £25, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Randall Barwick Brereton, A.B., together with Morston, the livings being consolidated, and having 69 acres of glebe. A new Rectory House has lately been erected, and the joint rectories are now worth about £800 per annum. The tithes of Stiffkey have been commuted for £423, and those of Morston for £280 per annum. Here were formerly two CHURCHES, (both rectorial,) in one enclosure, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and St. Mary; but the latter is gone, and the other is a venerable pile, . . . standing on an acclivity near the Hall, which was built by Sir Nicholas Bacon, . . . The New Hall is a neat cemented mansion, erected by James Buck, Esq., its present occupant, about 12 years ago. To the west of the village, ... is a promontory, called Warborough Hill, . . . and one mile to the east of it, is a green knowl, called Camping Hill, supposed to have been also entrenched. . . . The common was enclosed in 1793. A National School was built here, in 1845, at the cost of £200." [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
The name is sometimes pronounced as Stewkey.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Walsingham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St John the Baptist. There was formerly another church dedicated to St Mary.
- Church of St John the Baptist
- Description and pictures.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stiffkey to another place.
Stiffkey is in North Greenhoe Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for North Greenhoe Hundred
- Description of North Greenhoe Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Stiffkey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Bradfer-Lawrence, Harry Lawrence
- Stiffkey alias Stewkey.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology, vol.23, 1929]
- Campbell, Linda
- The women of Stiffkey.
[Norwich, University of East Anglia Thesis, 1985]
- Jones, Mrs Herbert
- Stiffkey, a sketch.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology, vol.8, 1879]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF973432 (Lat/Lon: 52.950241, 0.935296), Stiffkey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.