William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
STOCKTON, a small straggling village and parish, 4½ miles S.S.E. of Loddon, in Loddon and Clavering union, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy district, Toft Monks polling district of South Norfolk, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 116 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1023 acres, and has a rateable value of £1711.
The parish is mostly the property of Capt. Walter F.G. Kerrich and Mr. W.B. Easter, the former of whom is lord of the manor of Stockton-with-the-Soke, which comprises most of this parish and those of Geldeston, Gillingham, Ellingham, and Kirby Cane, and an exclusive right of fishing in the river Waveney. It was held by the Crown in the reign of Elizabeth, but was let in fee farm. A court baron and leet was then held on St. Margaret's Day, with exclusive jurisdiction for the recovery of debts under 40s. The tenants were exempt from serving on juries at assizes or sessions, and had common right on Mickle Fen, now enclosed.
The soil is chiefly clay, and produces fine oak timber. At the side of the road, near the boundary of Stockton and Hales, is a large stone, weighing about two tons, called 'Stockton Stone,' and in the ancient Town Book still preserved, is an entry, dated 1645, recording the payment of a small sum for 'putting stulps to Stockton Stone.' Stockton Hall, the residence of William B. Easter, Esq., is a commodious white brick building, erected in 1876 by the present occupier.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a small thatched fabric, which was restored and seated with poppy-headed benches in 1856, at a cost of £86. It comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower. The latter contains five bells, and is surmounted by a short spire. The chancel was restored by the present rector, at a cost of about £80. A new vestry was built in the year 1874 at a cost of £80. There are some beautiful remains of very old glass, representing the Adoration of the Magi.
On a stone in the chancel is a brass in memory of John Falc, rector, who died in 1615, and there is a marble slab to the Rev. V.L. Bernard, who died during the performance of divine service on Sunday, March 24, 1816. In the splays of one of the windows are two memoranda, viz.: 'Pray for the good estate and welfare of Wyll'm Tomlinson and Kateryne his wyffe, and for all the sowlles they have bourne. For Marg'ret Ball and also for Sam'l Ball, and for all those whiche made thys; Christofer and George, for the helpe of thys parysshe.'
In one of the windows there is a figure of St. Michael holding a shield with the 'five wounds' in very old glass. Also the arms of the 'Earls of Norfolk' and the 'Garnies.' The font is octagonal, and ornamented with grotesque winged figures.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and now at £280. It is in the gift of Rev. A. Bond, and incumbency of the Rev. Edwin Tearle, M.A. The glebe is 32 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1846 for £259 18s. The rectory-house was built in 1879, at a cost of £850. The last rector, the Rev. John Coldham, held the living 62 years.
The Town Estate, which has been held from an early period for the benefit of the parish at the discretion of the chief inhabitants, comprises two cottages and upwards of 48 acres of land, let for £78 a year, which is applied in the repairs of the church and the relief of the poor. The latter have annually a distribution of coal, arising out of a donation by Mrs. Carlos. Carr's Marshes, an extensive tract of low swampy lands, near the mouth of the Waveney, belonging to this parish, have long been under a regular system of drainage, and are now well cultivated. There is also a club, the members of which are allowed ninepence additional to every shilling paid in.
The children attend the schools of Kirby Cane and Geldeston, but there is a Sunday school in connection with the church.
POST from Bungay.
Breeze Charles Geo. market gardener Brister James farmer and woodman Claxton Mrs. shopkeeper Easter William Browne farmer and landowner, Stockton hall Fairhead Robert blacksmith Harrod Robert farmer & victualler, Black Boy Inn Lawn James shoemaker Mitchell William parish clerk and vermin killer Morris Robert farmer, Manor farm Pearce James rate collector Pearce Richard farmer and overseer, Stockton Old Hall Rolfe Anthony Albert market gardener, fruit grower & mert. Ivy hs. & income tax collector, and sec. to the Rational Sick & Burial and the Mutual Brethren Friendly Socs Soanes James market gardener Tearle Rev. Edwin, M.A. rector, The Rectory
See also the Stockton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.