Norfolk: Stoke Ferry
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
STOKE-FERRY is a large village, pleasantly situated near the navigable river Wissey, 7 miles E.S.E. of Downham, 14½ miles S.S.E. of Lynn, 10 miles S.W. by W. of Swaffham, and 88 miles N. by E. of London; at the junction of roads from Thetford, Brandon, &c. It has a large fair for horses, cattle, &c., on Dec. 6th; and a Hiring for Servants on the Thursday before old Michaelmas; and much business is done at the wharf, in corn, coal, malt, &c. Its corn market, formerly held on Friday, is obsolete.
Its parish, which abounds in lime-stone, contains 663 inhabitants, and about 1,900 acres of land, partly a cultivated fen, and mostly belonging to J.B.S. Bradfield, Esq., the lord of the manor, who has a neat mansion here. The bridge which crosses the river, where there was anciently a ferry, was repaired and widened in 1803. In the 32nd of Henry III., the abbot of Ely had a grant for a market and fair here. The profits of the ferry belonged to the abbot, who broke down the bridge soon after its erection; but the Hundred Court compelled him to rebuild it.
The CHURCH, (All Saints,) is a small neat fabric, with a belfry, and formerly had a tower, which fell down in 1578. The perpetual curacy, certified at £18, and valued in 1831 at £110, was augmented 1779 and 1801, with £400 of Queen Anne's bounty. The patronage, and the impropriate tithes, belong to the Crown, and the Rev. Henry Sims, B.A., is the incumbent. G.R. Eyres, Esq., is lessee of the great tithes.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
The old Poor's Land, was exchanged at the enclosure in 1818, for 2R. 26P., held by the overseers, and 22P. used as a chalk pit. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, consists of 25A. 3R. 6P. in the East Fen, on which all the poor cut turf, &c., for fuel.
The Free School was founded, pursuant to the will of James Bradfield Sanders, Esq., who, in 1807, left £250 for the erection of the school-house, and charged his estate here with the yearly payment of £25 to the master, for the education of 25 poor children of Stoke-Ferry and Wretton.
The POST OFFICE is at Sarah Cawthorne's, where Letters arrive at half-past 7 mornings; and are despatched at 7 evenings, by mail-gig, from Brandon.
Here is a Temperance, or Rechabite Society, numbering more than 40 members.
Barton William gentleman Bennett James carpenter Blackburne John Osbert ale and porter brewer Bradfield Jas. Bradfield Sanders, Esq. Etheridge Edward Wright spirit, seed, & hop mercht., chandler & maltster Etheridge John Drosier wine mercht. Everitt Sophia shopkeeper Goose Robert plumber, painter, &c. Green Mrs. Han. Hastings Mrs. H. Hastings Mr. William Hill John Bird day & boardg. academy Land Robert grocer & draper Mayes John butcher Micklefield Roger solicitor Micklefield Anty. Horrex Roger solr. Nunn James beer house Pigott Richard druggist, & agent to the Farmers' Ins. Office (& at Brandon) Salman George fishmonger & carrier Sanders Mrs. Sarah Sims Rev. Henry, B.A. incumbent Springfield Wm. Sparrow lime, &c. merchant Steele Hy. Chas. Brown surgeon, & registrar, (Lunatic Asylum) Watling William earthenware dlr. Watson George hair dresser West Sarah dress maker Whatnall Richard earthenware dlr. Winfield Fdk. Wm. corn & coal mert. Winfield Henry Wm. corn & coal merchant, & maltster INNS AND TAVERNS. Wilson William Bell, (& baker) Brown William Bull Tindale William Crown Reynolds William Duke's Head Roberts Henry King's Arms Bakers. Boot & Shoemkrs. Lock J. (& miller) Goate John, leather seller Pollard William Green John Sly Samuel Nurse James Wilson William Stevens John Powell J. (& shopr) Blacksmiths. Corn Millers. Larner Young Lock John West Richard Pollard William FARMERS. Tailors. Etheridge Anthy. Carley Robert Harwin John Jaggard William Hazel William Land Robert Plumb Henry Vailes Jno. Elvins, The Furlong Rolfe Fuller Sharp Susan Spinks Edward Temple William Winfield Henry Saddlers. Wheelwrights. Hewson John Tokelove William Upton William Williams Henry COACHES & Carriers from Lynn to Bury, &c. call at the Inns. Carriers to Lynn, tu. th. & sat. Baker George Salmon George
See also the Stoke Ferry parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.