Norfolk: Stoke Holy Cross
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845STOKE-HOLY-CROSS, on the east side of the river Tas, nearly 5 miles S. of Norwich, has in its parish 453 souls, and 1,603 acres of land. Sir R.J. Harvey, H. Birkbeck, Esq., and R.K. Long, Esq., own most of the soil. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are appropriators of the great tithes, (leased to Sir R.J. Harvey,) and patrons of the vicarage, which was valued in 1831 at £162, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Bailey, M.A., for whom a handsome new Parsonage-house has recently been erected.
The CHURCH stands on an eminence, and has a square tower and three bells. Here is a Baptist Chapel, built by Messrs. J. and J. Colman, who also support an Infant School. Here are also two church schools. The Fuel Allotment, 13A. 1R. 10A. [sic], is let for £16.
Petty Sessions are held at the Rummer Inn, as noticed at page 78 [this is a misprint for page 787, which is the entry for Henstead Hundred].
Colman Jerh. & Jas. mustard and starch mfrs., seed crushers, and millers, (& Dowgate-hill, London) Barnes Fiddy gardener Bond John bricklayer Horne Wm. shoemkr. (Post Office) Huggins John vict., Rummer Inn Lincoln Robert bricklayer Pearce Robert smith, & vict., Lion Whitaker John lime burner Wilgress John wheelwright FARMERS. Burwood Edward Dix Thomas Drake William Edwards John road surveyor Harris George Hipperson Thomas Huggins Charles Minns Jacob Purdy Robert Scales Robert Seaman John
POST to Norwich, at 4 afternoon.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Stoke Holy Cross parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.