Norfolk: Stow Bedon
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
STOW-BEDON, on a small rivulet, 6 miles S.E. by S. of Watton, is a parish of dispersed houses, with 300 inhabitants, and 1637 acres of land. T.T. Gurdon, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil.
The Church (St. Bartolph) is a small edifice, without a tower, but its interior has recently been much improved. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4.19s.4d., and in 1831 at £295. It was augmented, in 1714, with £200, given by Mr. James Smith, and 1718, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The glebe is 10 acres. C. Eade, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Peter Eade, incumbent.
The Fuel Allotment, 30 acres of steril [sic] land, was awarded at the enclosure, in 1814, and is let for £12. The poor have also the dividends of £51.5s.8d., three-and-a-half per Cent. Consols, left by Rebecca Ray.
Eglinton John blacksmith Hewett Philip shopkeeper Hamilton Rev.A., B.A. curate Lincoln Thomas miller Nurse John vict., White Horse Youngman Wm. schoolmaster farmers Balls Christmas Layt Isaac Bilham Robt. Margetson Abm. Garner Timothy Osborn James Garner John Smith John and Hy.
See also the Stow Bedon parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.