Norfolk: Stow Bedon
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
STOW-BEDON is a parish, 4 miles S. from Watton, and 7 miles from Attleborough, on the Thetford and Watton Railway, in Wayland union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Breccles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
It has a rateable value of £1971, and in 1881 contained 324 inhabitants, and comprised 1692 acres. R.T. Gurdon, Esq., M.P. (who is lord of the manor), G.S. Corley, Esq., Lord Walsingham, Sir E.C. Kerrison, Bart., and G.T. West, Esq., are the principal landowners.
The CHURCH (St. Botolph) is a small edifice in the Early English style, comprising nave, chancel, vestry, and bell turret; and containing an elegantly carved rood screen, a reredos of Caen stone, a font of Portland stone, communion rails of brass, a harmonium, given by the rector, carved stalls in the chancel, and good open benches in the nave. In the churchyard are three ancient tombstones ornamented with floriated crosses.
The discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £4 19s. 4d., was augmented in 1714 with £200, given by Mr. James Smith, and in 1718 with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. It is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Daniel Race Godfrey, M.A., who has 14 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £335, and a good residence, built in 1849 and 1852, at a cost of £1200.
Stow Mere, a large sheet of water, covering about 25 acres, is the property of the lord of the manor.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, built in 1844.
A SCHOOL BOARD was formed on April 4, 1877, and consists of H. Stelbargs, Esq. (chairman), Messrs. George S. Corley, John Osborn, T.C. Littleproud, and T. Lait. Mr. H.F. Grigson, Watton, is clerk.
The Fuel Allotment, 28A. 1R. of sterile land, was awarded at the enclosure in 1814, and is let for £10 10s. The poor have also the dividends of £51 5s. 8d., three and a half per cent. consols, left by Rebecca Ray, and given in bread on Sundays 'to the poor in church.'
POST OFFICE at Mr. Arthur Harvey's. Letters from Attleborough arrive at 8.30 a.m., despatched at 6 p.m., and Sundays at 10.30 p.m. Wall Box closes at 5.30 p.m., and Sundays at 10.30 p.m. Hockham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Adams Thomas farmer Childerhouse Robert farmer Colly Richard vict. White Horse Colman Thos. Banyard corn, coal, and cake mert.; depôt, Railway station Corley Geo. Smith frmr. & landowner Corridge Walter farmer, Whews frm Dennis John farmer, Mere farm Drake George poultry dealer Drake Philip farmer Goddard Mrs Julia A. vict. Mill Inn Godfrey Rev. Danl. Race, M.A. Rectory Grosholz Mrs Agnes The Cottage Harvey Arthur horse and general dealer, post office Howes Mrs Mary farmer, The Whews Knights Solomon farmer, Church frm Littleproud Thomas corn, coal, & coke merchant, depot & granaries, Railway statn.; h Waterloo farm, Caston Layt Robert pork butcher Mateham William beer house Osborn James shopkeeper and former [sic] Prewer James farmer Rout Jacob grocer and draper Webster Wm. shoemkr. & parish clerk Webster Mrs Rebecca laundress Wellingham John Jph. farmr. Hall frm
RAILWAY STATION - Samuel Jackson Rice, stationmaster
See also the Stow Bedon parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.