"STRADSETT parish has a few scattered houses, near the Swaffham road, 4 miles E. by N. of Downham, and 10 miles S. by E. of Lynn, and contains 194 souls, and 1,236 acres of land, belonging to Wm. Bagge, Esq., M.P., of Stradsett Hall, a large ancient mansion, . . . He is one of the parliamentary representatives of West Norfolk, impropriator of the great tithes of Stradsett, amd patron of the CHURCH, (St. Mary,) which is a neat stuccoed building, in the park. . . . The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £3 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £108. The Rev. Jonathan Townley is the incumbent. " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Fincham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stradsett to another place.
Stradsett is in Clackclose Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clackclose Hundred
- Description of Clackclose Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Stradsett has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF665050 (Lat/Lon: 52.617485, 0.457734), Stradsett which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)