White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
STRADSETT parish has a few scattered houses, near the Swaffham road, 4 miles E. by N. of Downham, and 10 miles S. by E. of Lynn, and contains 194 souls, and 1,236 acres of land, belonging to Wm. Bagge, Esq., M.P., of Stradsett Hall, a large ancient mansion, in an extensive park, with a lake of 22A., abounding in pike and other fish. He is one of the parliamentary representatives of West Norfolk, impropriator of the great tithes of Stradsett, amd patron of the CHURCH, (St. Mary,) which is a neat stuccoed building, in the park. Its east window is of stained glass.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £3 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £108. The Rev. Jonathan Townley is the incumbent.
The poor have £5 yearly, from Wm. Bagge, Esq., as a fuel rate, levied under the enclosure act of 41st Geo. III.
Bagge Wm. Esq., M.P. Hall Royle Rev. Jas. Patrick, B.A. curate Brown J. vict., Folgate Place Eliz. blacksmith
Horneygold Robert Long Robert Merry John Newman Edward
See also the Stradsett parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.