Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Norfolk: Stradsett

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Norfolk: Stradsett

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

STRADSETT parish has a few scattered houses, near the Swaffham road, 5 miles E. by N. of Downham, and 11 miles S. by E. of Lynn, and is in Downham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Downham polling district of West Norfolk, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Fincham rural deanery, and archdeaconry of Norfolk. It had 139 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1318 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1815 10s.

Sir Alfred T. Bagge, Bart., is owner of the soil, and impropriator of the great tithes. Stradsett Hall, a large ancient mansion, in an extensive park, with a lake of 26 acres, abounding in pike and other fish, is the family seat of the Bagge family, and is now occupied by the Dowager Lady Bagge.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower. The latter contains three bells, and is surmounted by a small spire. The east window is filled with beautiful stained glass, representing the Adoration of the Magi. Here are several tablets of the Bagge family, and a good brass to Thomas Lathe.

On the east gable of an ancient farmhouse, near the old vicarage, is a large tablet, bearing a curious Latin inscription, and the year 1642.

The discharged vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £3 6s. 8d., and augmented at some unknown date with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, was consolidated with Crimplesham in 1876. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. William Burnet, M.A., who resides at Crimplesham (which see), incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £220 to the impropriator, and £110 to the vicar.

The poor have £7 as a fuel rate, levied under the Inclosure Act of 41st George III.

The children attend the school at Crimplesham.

POST from Downham, which is the nearest Telegraph Office. Fincham is the nearest Money Order Office.

         Bagge      Dowager Lady Frances  Stradsett hall
         Blackburne Mrs Ann               Paradise manor
         Cheetham   Miss Hannah           farmer, Paradise manor
         Crowe      John                  victualler, Foldgate Inn, and farmer
         Drew       Lancaster John        blacksmith; and at Crimplesham
         Ducklin    David                 farmer
         Goss       Jonathan              farmer
         Humphrey   John                  farmer, The Grove
         Humphrey   Mrs Sophia            Oak farm
         Kendall    Mrs C.                laundress, Old Vicarage
         Pond       Charles               farmer
         Shepherd   J.                    farm bailiff & gardener
 

RAILWAY STATION - Downham is the nearest.


See also the Stradsett parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2000