"STRUMPSHAW is a well-built, but dispersed village, on an eminence, 8½ miles E. by S. of Norwich, comprising within its parish 412 inhabitants, and about 1200 acres, belonging to a number of freeholders and some copyholders; the latter are subject to arbitrary fines, payable to the heirs of the late E. Walpole, Esq., as lords of the manor. The ancient lords were the Dan-Martins and the Bardolphs. The Church (St. Peter,) was new pewed and covered with blue slate, in 1819, at the cost of £150. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831 at £486, with that of Bradestone annexed to it, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. E.S. Whitbread, M.A., who has a commodious residence, and 64A. of glebe. The tithes of Strumpshaw were commuted in 1844, for £370 per annum. The windmill, in this parish, is supposed to stand on the highest hill in Norfolk, " [William White History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Church of St Peter
- Services, description, history, picture, etc.
- Strumpshaw, Buckenham and Hassingham
- Description and pictures.
- Peart, Stephen
- Strumpshaw, a village at that time of day.
- Strumpshaw Smock Mill
- Description, history and pictures.
- Strumpshaw Steam Museum
- Description, events, pictures, etc.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Strumpshaw to another place.
Strumpshaw is in Blofield Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Blofield Hundred
- Description of Blofield Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Strumpshaw has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG350077 (Lat/Lon: 52.616286, 1.469593), Strumpshaw which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.